Hogwarts, A Future
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hogwarts, A Future

Sixteen Years After the War has Ended, Two Wizarding Schools Exist. Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and Salem Academy

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari)

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari)   An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari) - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 5:17 pm

The fact that Mari could handle herself was not something Jake was going to dispute, she could, and probably handle most of the world too, but Jake didn't want her to have to do that. "I know you can, I've got your back too." Jake told the witch, nodding in confirmation. There was no wish to annoy the witch, but wherever possible, Jake would keep his friend safe, the same he did with all of his friends.

For the second time that day, Mari took hold of his chin, making him look at her this time. "You're fine." Jake repeated a moment later, giving her a small smile. "Sorry, I just don't want to push too quickly." Jake added, hoping she'd understand his words enough to know he was okay, just a little annoyed that it hadn't kept such things away from her right now.

"Who knows, maybe I'll call him."

Jake raised his eyebrow at that information, trying to work out if the witch was serious. What with the crass chat up lines and Callum being far too forward... surely the witch couldn't be serious about wanting to follow him up on his request. But rather than questioning her choice, Jake noted her comment on grocery shopping. "No, you need to do these things..." Jake replied, allowing himself to relax. He didn't want to be uptight, but Jake knew it would be his responsibility if he overdid things too quickly.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari)   An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari) - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 5:29 pm

"Sorry, I just don't want to push too quickly."
"I know" she nodded, "Trust me, I'm not going to thrust myself into the world. I'll be careful. Someone's got to make sure you don't worry yourself to death." she quipped with a wink.
At his raised eyebrow and frankly somewhat horrified look she laughed, "Jeez Jake, I'm joking. Merlin. Look how fine I am, I'm even joking. That's new. I don't usually, but today I am. So today was good. And yes, I do need to go grocery shopping. But I also need to function in a crowd. And I need to be stable enough for missions. I don't want Professor Clement to notice any of the..." she bit her lip searching for a word to describe her state, "mess...in my head. I don't want to lose my chance because I can't deal with life. So relax. I'm going one step at a time. I promise." the witch said sincerely, leaning comfortably against Jakes shoulder, using her friend as a pillow. Merlin, trying life was exhausting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari)   An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari) - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 2:49 am

As the witch told him to relax in more than one way, Jake nodded. There wasn't much to say really, deep down he knew the witch would be okay, but on the surface he didn't want her to have to deal with things to have to make things okay. It was complicated, so Jake opted for the silence as his friend leant her head on his shoulder.

It remained that way for some time, Jake only moving slightly to pick up the TV remote and switching the TV on to something random. They didn't need to talk, this was comfortable. His mom popped in every now and then, bringing them so food and drink but ultimately leaving them alone. She had welcomed Mari though, telling her that she would always be welcome, but that in the summer holidays it would be a little cramped with both Humphrey and Victoria home. But as his mother insisted, they could make space.

As the hour drew later, Jake's dad came home, introducing himself to the witch but then hurrying to the kitchen to see his wife. It seemed that both his parents had made a pact not to get in their way, and Jake appreciated it. It was around half past ten that Jake's eyes were growing heavier, his frame battling with sleep. "I think I'm going to call it a night, Mari." Jake told the witch beside him softly, reaching up to rub his eyes. "I'll show you to your room, yeah?" He asked, getting up from the sofa and waiting for the witch by the door to the lounge.

Victoria's room was the one at the top of the stairs, so it wasn't difficult, but Jake knew better than to just leave guests to find their own way.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari)   An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari) - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 4:38 am

Marilyn was so exhausted se pretty much dozed off then and there, waking up periodically. She was awake to greet his mother and was much more at ease after she'd reassured her of how welcome she was. And once again to greet Jake's father, whom she already knew because he had been her first ministry contact after her escape.
After that she'd dozed off again, only waking up to Jake's gentle nudging to go to bed.
The witch had nodded and followed Jake up to her room at the top of the stairs where she said goodnight before turning to change and sleep, her things all in her bag in her hands.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari)   An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari) - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 4:46 am

After a peaceful night's sleep, Jake had woken early and left the witch in bed a little longer. As usual, Jake had set off on his early morning run around Eden Prairie, greeting everyone he met. It was roughly an hour he was out before he came back to the breakfast almost ready to serve. Jake tried to sneak in to the table, but his mom sent him for a shower first.

On his way back from the bathroom, Jake poked his head around Mari's door after giving it a soft knock, smiling to the witch. "Breakfast is ready when you are." Jake told the witch, pulling the door back up and heading downstairs. His mom, in usual fashion when there were guests had gone for a full cooked breakfast, which Jake tucked in to without waiting for everyone else. His mom sent him a small look that said wait, but gave up when Jake merely grinned at her mid way through lifting another spoonful of food to his lips. Mari wouldn't mind, and Jake was absolutely starving.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari)   An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari) - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 4:55 am

Marilyn had awoken about half an hour before jake knocked and was in the process of getting ready. Avoiding the mirrors as usual she just pulled her curls into a sleek ponytail and pulled on some athetic clothes so she'd be all set for flying later, a windbreaker covering most of her scarring.
So that was how she came down into th kitchen with a small smile and a "Good Morning" all around and sat down, joining the others in eating. She still didn't each much, but she ate enough.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari)   An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari) - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 5:10 am

A chorus of good morning met Mari as she joined the table, Jake having to quickly swallow his food in his greeting. Jake didn't bring attention to how little Mari ate, but knew that small amounts were something. His mom seemed to ignore it too, likely having learnt from the years of Azalea coming over that some girls just didn't eat as much as her son did. Though, in fairness to Mari, Jake's appetite was huge because of his active lifestyle which means the usual amount of calories people should have would never sustain his day.

The talk stayed mainly with the news, and Jake just nodded along as his dad summarised the day's Daily Prophet. No news yet on the kids who'd gone missing, but so far nothing else had happened. Whether that was good or not was anyone's guess, but Jake passed no open comment. The sports section stated that the Finchburg Finches had won the day before, but as the paper had points out, the Moose Jaw Meteorites had already knocked the hopes of winning firmly out of the bag, something that brought a smirk to Jake's features.

"You ready to head off?" Jake asked Mari who'd finished a fair time ago. His mom made a motion to his lips, apparently he'd missed some sauce or something and he quickly wiped it away before moving from his seat. "I just need to grab a few things from my room, if you wanna gather your things I'll meet you in the hall in five?" Jake suggested to the witch, before thanking his mom and hurrying up to the top floor of the house that now housed all of the things he owned.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari)   An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari) - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 5:19 am

"Sure, I'm ready." Marilyn thanked his mom for breakfast and followed Jake out, grabbing her tiny bag and putting her wand in the designated inside pocket of her jacket.
Soon she was standing in the hall, double checking herself to see if she had everything and biting her lip, because she was a little bit nervous. The witch had no idea what to expect. Flying was something she'd always avoided in school, simply because she'd been drawn more to other activities. Now there was no getting around it. And she wanted to be able to fly.
It was just a slight fear of the new. But Jake was there and he was going to help her so that relaxed her a bit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari)   An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari) - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 5:34 am

Jake had moved to his room, grabbing his Firebolt Two and then his first broom, the original Firebolt. After packing them in his bag with a quick shrinking charm, the Quidditch star put the rucksack on his back and hurried back down the stairs. Mari was already waiting and after offering the witch his arm they span in place, back to Canada and the Moose Jaw Stadium.

"We'll start with the basics." Jake told the witch as he lead her through the stadium doors and through the doors that were only used by players. "See how you get on with that, then build. I won't show you anything complex because that gets scary. But turns, different speeds, heights. We'll cover that today." Jake explained, thinking back to the days where he'd taught Flying lessons.

It took a few minutes to navigate through to the pitch, but eventually they emerged from a tunnel on ground level to the green pitch of the Quidditch Stadium. "Welcome to my life!" Jake said proudly looking around the stadium, even empty it felt amazing, it was this part of the job that Jake was going to miss, but he was sure Auror training would bring up it's own thrills. Sinking to his knees, Jake put his rucksack on the floor and pulled out the shrunken brooms, restoring them to full size. Taking the Firebolt in his right hand, Jake led it on the floor to Mari's right with an encouraging smile.

"This is yours for today. Do you know where to start? With the summoning of the broom?" Jake asked softly, gauging where they were starting from.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari)   An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari) - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 5:45 am

"See how you get on with that, then build. I won't show you anything complex because that gets scary. But turns, different speeds, heights. We'll cover that today."

"I do this if I remember correctly..." She put her hand over the broom and said "Up."
It bumped up a little. So she focused a bit more, "Up." It hovered closer to her hand, very slowly, until it was in her hand. Marilyn sighed in relief. "Oh good, I was afraid it was going to whack me in the face, like when my sister first did it." she laughed.
"Do you always have to summon it? Everytime you ride?"
the witch asked.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari)   An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 11:52 am

Jake watched as Mari gave it a shot, she was correct in her method, but Jake wasn't surprised the broom didn't react greatly the first time. There was always something about brooms that had long standing owners not always wanting to take another, but with Jake's presence everything should be okay.

It was proved right a moment later when the broom zoomed in to the witch's hand, bringing a smile to Jake's lips. "Well done!" Jake complimented, letting out a soft laugh at the mention of her sister's first try. "It's rare that happens, normally just rolls around on the floor for a bit." Jake explained, knowing the school brooms at Salem had been very much like that in his first year.

"Do you always have to summon it? Everytime you ride?"

"No," Jake replied softly, putting his foot on the foot grips of his own broom and lifting up gently from the floor to show the witch. "It comes with familiarisation really. The more you ride, the less your broom acts up. So, my brooms are well adjusted to me and well, I'd say we were vastly in tune from the hours of practice."

Motioning to Mari from his slight hovering stance, Jake continued. "If you mount the broom, two hands on the handle, a leg either side, we'll begin with the simple kick off. Now, you're holding a Firebolt, so you don't have to be forceful. Slight movements with a Firebolt are all that's needed to get what you desire. Have a go, and remember, I'm right here." The words of encouragement were soft and coaxing, hoping the witch would be at ease enough to try the next step.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari)   An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 12:02 pm

As he explained the witch nodded, her eyebrows furrowed slightly in concentration, biting her lower lip. then she gripped the broom with two hands and took a deep breath as she mounted it, both feet still firmly on the ground and wondering if perhaps a firebolt was not a broom for complete beginners, however as Jake had reminded her. he was there.

This fact was oddly not comforting during the first few seconds of pushing off. She had indeed taken his advice to heart and very softly pushed off, but obviously this was a broom that wanted to fly and it hook her about six meters off the ground to a steady hover.
Her next thought after the initial uneasiness was whether or not she could put a cushioning charm on a broom because bloody hell that stick was uncomfortable.

Her shoulders still quite tense she turned her head to look at Jake questioningly, "And Now?"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari)   An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 12:36 pm

As Mari pushed off, Jake knew that even the small amount of force she put behind the push was going to be more than she probably realised. Firebolts weren't the best of brooms to learn on, but here at the stadium, it was going to be the safest broom to try flying on. The whole team rode the fastest, most up to date brooms, so there was never going to be a 'safe' one for the witch.

"And Now?"

"Now, you relax." Jake instructed the witch, moving carefully closer and taking his hand off his broom and helping the witch in to a more relaxed position, bending slightly over the broom, arms not locked in place and helping her feet in to the footholds. Jake did each of the things carefully, making sure not to push the witch off balance.

"To move forwards," Jake started, putting his hands on his broom in the same manner Mari was not holding on. "You press yourself forward. Just a slight lean." The young man explained, showing her as his broom carefully moved forwards with the gentle pressure. "Just lightly to start with."
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari)   An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 1:14 pm

Marilyn let her friend adjust her position and tried to relax more. "Little tense, feels weird to have no feet on the ground." she nodded at the next instructions and gently pushed forward which just made her tilt slightly forwards about two inches. "Okay a little bit more..." she bit her lip and eased forward a little bit more. And she moved about one foot and came to a jerky stop.
"Okay well at least now I know I'm a nervous flyer." she shook her head, sighing, unfortunately, leaning back seems to translate to 'back it up' and she suddenly went back about four feet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari)   An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 1:26 pm

"Little tense, feels weird to have no feet on the ground."

Jake didn't really know what to say to that, he'd always found flying to be the highlight of the magical world. So instead of a reply, the Quidditch star merely nodded to show he'd been listening. "You're fine." Jake told the witch once more. They weren't high up, and he was close enough to catch her the moment she fell anyway.

With Mari easing her broom forward very slowly, Jake watched her closely, his smile growing at her progress. He was just about to open his mouth to tell her she'd done well when she shot backwards. The Quidditch star was after her in an instant, his left hand taking hold of Mari's broom and levelling it out for the witch.

"Stick to going forwards first, eh?" Jake teased good naturedly, letting go of the broom and motioning for Mari to try again.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari)   An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 2:41 pm

"Tell that to the broom" she laughed, steadying herself. Then the Auror in training (a dignified position, she told herself, despite how utterly undignified she felt) leaned forward a little bit more, her broom scooting forwards in little spurts,then smoothly moving for two meters.

"is this...in any way...right?"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari)   An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 2:48 pm

"Tell that to the broom"

Jake laughed along with the witch at the joke, true the broom did play a part, but it was the exquisite engineering which made it so sensitive to a small shift in weight. Perfect for Jake's line of work, but he didn't think Mari would appreciate him going off on a tangent about such things so Jake stayed quiet.

"is this...in any way...right?"

"It's perfect!" Jake assured the witch, following just behind her and to her right. Not close enough to distract Mari, but close enough to keep her safe, as he'd promised to do. "Turning is just the same, subtly leaning to the side makes you move to the side you're leaning. Just do it gently like we've been doing so far." Jake encouraged.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari)   An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 3:05 pm

Marilyn smiled at his reassurement and nodded.
Then she tried to lean to turn around to Jake and ended up tipping over, luckily her legs were locked up to the broom, hands tight on the broom, clinging to her broom.
"Jake...this is...not right." the witch voiced from her upside down position.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari)   An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 3:24 pm

With the witch giving her nod to show she knew what to do, Jake lowered himself below the witch, turning was always more difficult, you had to lean enough not to tip yourself and then hope beyond anything that you could maintain the turn. Thankfully they weren't doing this at speed, because that just complicated everything.

It was the beginnings of a turn, and Jake knew Mari had really tried, but unfortunately the witch hadn't quite got the balance right. Moving in quickly, Jake had Mari's weight before she'd even told him it wasn't right. "I've got you, don't worry." Jake assured the witch, gently pulling her from her own broom to his own. "I've had a better idea." Jake explained, pausing momentarily to deal with the different weight on the broom and steadying the pair of them in place.

The Quidditch star gave Mari time to adjust to being sat in front of him, Jake's left arm moving past the witch to hold the broom whilst his right held the witch carefully across the stomach to stop her falling. "If you just hold on, I can show you how it's done, so that you can feel the way you need to shift your weight to turn, speed up, and everything else." Jake told the witch softly in their close proximity.

Jake didn't wait for an answer, pushing forwards slowly to start with before he leant the two of them forwards a little more. This was probably faster than Mari would achieve in a number of training sessions, but it was the experience she wanted. The end of the pitch came towards them fast and Jake eased the broom to the right, still holding Mari to him as they twisted through the Quidditch hoops.

It was intoxicating, Jake remembered his first ride, and every time never seemed to get old, he could only hope that Mari felt the same way about the whole thing.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari)   An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 3:51 pm

Marilyn remained quite composed (a proud moment for the aspiring auror) when she was pulled onto Jake's broom and managed to not even bristle at his hold on her. It was Jake, she though, of course he'd be gentle. Nothing to worry about. And now her chances of falling were zilch. And it was much warmer now, and safer. Mari focused on the 'safety' aspect for a few minutes, while Jake was steadying them, and managed to remain completely calm.

"If you just hold on, I can show you how it's done, so that you can feel the way you need to shift your weight to turn, speed up, and everything else."

She nodded silently, lips parted slightly from surprise still as she was really not used to close contact. And now she was remembering why she avoided it. Suddenly she was hyper conscious of everything, body heat, the way she was breathing, the way she was moving, the way he was moving- it was a sensory overload waiting to happen. So she used every ounce of auror-esque discipline she had and focused utterly on how he was moving the broom to get it to work and she realized she was going to need a lot of practice.
It was...unlike anything she'd ever experienced. When she had flown it had been jerky and awkward and, honestly, rather un-magical. But now flying with someone who knew what he was doing...a whole new world.
It even brought a smile to her face and when they were finished she stood in front of him on semi-shaky legs with a grin on her face and windswept hair.
"That was...amazing."
So they agreed to find a day to give it another go and, as per usual, he apparated to her apartment with her and made sure she was safe before leaving her again.

And that night she decided to perhaps skip the dreamless sleep potion and try that on her own as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari)   An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

An attempt at Normality (Jake+Mari)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2