Hogwarts, A Future
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hogwarts, A Future

Sixteen Years After the War has Ended, Two Wizarding Schools Exist. Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and Salem Academy

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Good Times Bad Times (Tess)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mary McNeely
Graduate
Graduate
Mary McNeely

Good Times Bad Times (Tess) Empty
PostSubject: Good Times Bad Times (Tess)   Good Times Bad Times (Tess) EmptyTue Aug 12, 2014 5:32 pm

The first few seconds when Mary woke up, everything was okay. Then she became aware of the pain in her leg and her hip and panic did its work. She opened her eyes, which didn't help much, as everything around her was dark and felt around her in an attempt to see why her leg felt like it was on fire. She became entangled in the sheets which started feeling like they were trapping her in the bed and she couldn't move. She could feel her heart beating fast against her chest and then her throat seemed to close up, she couldn't breathe and tears started forming in her eyes as bit by bit, memories of how she got to be here popped up in her head.

The woman writhing on the floor, captured by Professor Holmes' ropes... The same woman yelling out nonsense and killing a little girl - Estelle, she was in Belladonna... Fighting one of the Widows and getting her hip slashed, falling to the floor... Fighting another Widow, once again falling down, but this time the pain was much worse, as all the little bones in her ankle were shattered... More Widows coming in through the windows and then the explosion... Tess, lying on the floor and Mary assuring herself that she was passed out, because the alternative was unthinkable.

And now there she was, in a hospital bed, tangled in the sheets, fighting for air. Slowly, her breathing evened out, her throat didn't seem like one big lump anymore and the girl calmed down. It was okay, everything will be okay. She was all sweaty, though and the pain was still searing in sharp pangs all over her left leg. A few minutes later, someone walked in the room, cast a charm around her bed and introduced herself as a Medi-Witch -Mary didn't really catch the name- and gave her a Sleeping Draught.

Many hours later, the now former Wormwood woke up to her Mother's distraught voice. It was daylight now, with sun shining lazily in the room and a slight breeze coming in through the window. Mary didn't really have time to observe all that, as she was focusing on trying not to look too scared or guilty when her Mom yelled at her. Or, yelled around her, to be precise. She wasn't angry at Mary, not really, just angry that she got hurt and that she didn't tell her parents there was a chance of at attack on her school. Mary gulped, which only sent her Mom on another panicked rant about safety.

Stephen, Mary's Father, was standing next to his wife, looking down at his daughter with fear and concern written all over his face. After a few minutes, he stopped Ann by putting his hand on her shoulder and she sank into his touch, blinking away her tears. Mary averted her eyes and took a shaky breath. It was one thing getting herself in danger and putting her life at risk and a whole other thing to think about how it would affect her family. It was horrible, seeing her parents like this, barely containing tears and being so distraught. She noticed, after she forced herself to look at them again, that her Dad was wearing pajamas under his jacket and her Moms shirt was inside out and she was wearing mismatched socks.

A terrible feeling of guilt passed over the young witch as she came to the realization that her parents probably didn't use the Floo Network and rather drove for several hours. All just to see their reckless daughter.

"I'm- I'm sorry." Mary managed to say in a thick voice. "I couldn't just walk away, there were children being killed, I-" Tears were now streaming down her cheeks and she was determinedly not looking at her parents, but at her fingers as they fidgeted with the edge of the sheets. She felt a shift in the mattress as one of her parents sat down and then she saw her Mom's hands take hers, giving them a gentle squeeze.

"We're very proud of you, darling, but -"

"You're our child and you could've died, too." Stephen concluded, stroking his daughter's hair reassuringly. "We just don't want you to get hurt." he added gently.

Mary nodded and smiled at her parents and then told them there's nothing really wrong with her. A white lie, really. There won't be anything wrong with her once her bones grew back and mended.

After a few minutes, Ann and Stephen admitted they drove all night and were exhausted and were going to check in a hotel. Mary reminded them they could take Floo Network and with a pointed remark, her Mom told her she was sick of magic for one day. Promising they would come back, they departed with a hug and a kiss.

With the distraction gone, Mary was finally able to look around the room she was in. There were many people in there -the hospital was probably overflowing with patients, Mary figured. A few beds over, a familiar face caught the witch's attention.

"Tess," she said, not really aware she was saying the name out loud. Was she okay? Would she be okay?
Back to top Go down
Tess Holmes
Graduate
Graduate
Tess Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Good Times Bad Times (Tess)   Good Times Bad Times (Tess) EmptyTue Aug 12, 2014 7:57 pm

Tess had to admit that since she woke up, she hadn't been able to sleep properly. Staying conscious? That was another thing altogether. When unconscious it felt as if she wasn't resting enough, as if her mind didn't get the rest it needed. Her Healers had told her she could not attain REM sleep, and it was rather body shutting itself down than the mind. She figured being unconscious for a span of two weeks had done nothing to stop her headaches.

At first she had worried over the head injury; was there any permanent damage? She was scared; she might not be the most social person, or the tallest, or the most beautiful, but she was smart. Smart girls didn't get marriage proposals but they could go far if a good enough asset. She knew that much. But as her brother, father and Healer reassured her that her mind wasn't going to be affected.

She had only woken up hours ago. Her parents had coddled her to a degree that made her uncomfortable. It was weird seeing that these prim proper people had touched her cheeks, face, hair, every more than they had ever done in her sixteen years of living. It didn't comfort her, but rather made her uncomfortable. Why now? Was near death the only way that they would show some sort of love.

Love wasn't the right word...caring. They cared. Like people cared for their most prized possession, a dowry. She was exactly that, and she didn't have an shame in knowing. No pureblooded offspring would ever find shame in it.

When they had left, she half-heartedly kissed her cheeks and promising to come back the next day. Finally having the silence she closed her eyes. It was late, very late and she simply tried to curl up as best she could, not used to the time difference impacting her body so badly. It was when she was starting to go to sleep, that two people ran into the room. She grumbled annoyed at the fact that she was woken up. Curiosity got the best of her, and attempted to sit up, only to wince in pain. Two people, with odd clothing, very odd. But as they went to coddle the person, the magical candle began to light up. Mary McNeely, Tess was surprised.

She supposed that she expected Mary to come out of the attack free of injuries, but from the doting parents it was obvious that she wasn't exactly fine. She studied the trio, and saw how different their interactions were compared to her own family. There was genuine caring there, there was love and...that was foreign to her to see. Especially in front of other people. Her room had the curtain all over, except for where her parents had forgotten to close it.

It was then that Tess realized she was intruding on something personal. Looking away, she closed her eyes and tried the hardest she could to go to sleep. Breathing in-and-out, she forced herself to sleep. It was hard, but she managed a light doze. That is until she heard someone say her name.

Her eyes opened immediately and smiled shyly.

"Hey" she croaked out.

Her voice was cracked, not really used to using it, it still hurt.

Back to top Go down
Mary McNeely
Graduate
Graduate
Mary McNeely

PostSubject: Re: Good Times Bad Times (Tess)   Good Times Bad Times (Tess) EmptyWed Aug 13, 2014 12:33 pm

Realizing she said the girl's name out loud, Mary blushed slightly, but otherwise didn't really think about it. It didn't really matter anyway, Tess seemed to be awake now. "Did I wake you? I'm so sorry. Also, sorry about the commotion, my parents... They overreacted a bit." Mary grinned weakly. They didn't overreact, not really.

"Are you okay?" she asked the other Head Girl. "And, er... What day is it? The nurse -er, MediWitch didn't tell me and I don't really know how long I slept..." Mary grimaced, trying to smile. It all felt so surreal, being here in the hospital, remembering why she was here. It felt like she wasn't herself, but was merely observing the scenes, with only about fifty percent of the emotional attachment she should have felt. It was shock, her brain supplied and she agreed.

The witch looked around the room some more, taking in all the people that were in there. Some beds had curtains draped all around them, with only silhouettes visible and some people were halfheartedly listing through a magazine or just staring in the air. They all looked exactly how she felt, coming to terms with everything that happened or just simply ignoring the world.
Back to top Go down
Tess Holmes
Graduate
Graduate
Tess Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Good Times Bad Times (Tess)   Good Times Bad Times (Tess) EmptyWed Aug 13, 2014 5:25 pm

Tess noticed Mary blush and wondered why she was doing it. Had she caught her in a opportune moment? Maybe staying behind the curtain might have been a good idea considering she was embarrassed seeing a very personal moment.

Looking down at her lap, she waves off Mary as she apologized for her parents having a commotion. Was it overreacting? She wouldn't know. Her father hadn't gotten red hot in anger, rather ice cold. She was so unperturbed to see the demanding demeanor, wanting Tess out of there immediately. It had only been an hour since she had woken up for a while, her days were not exactly accurate.

"No worries, typical parents do that" she replied shrugging it off.

' Not yours' her mind corrected.

Not dwelling on that, she immediately quipped back. When asked what day it was...well she wasn't sure herself.

"I woke up an hour ago...I don't even know how I got here" she admitted. "why are you here?"
Back to top Go down
Mary McNeely
Graduate
Graduate
Mary McNeely

PostSubject: Re: Good Times Bad Times (Tess)   Good Times Bad Times (Tess) EmptyThu Aug 14, 2014 1:21 pm

"No worries, typical parents do that"

Mary smiled, sighing in relief that her parents haven't particularly disturbed Tess. "They're not used to magic and what with me getting hurt, they panicked." she offered as further explanation.

When the Slytherin told her she didn't know what day it was, Mary grinned weakly and shrugged. "We'll just ask someone else." she said. And then Tess told het she didn't even know how she got here. "Oh, I brought you in. You, er, passed out when you were thrown across the room and I, you know, didn't want you to die, so..." Mary explained the best she could under the circumstances. She would've been more articulate if her head hadn't felt like it would explode at any given moment.

When asked why she was in the hospital, the now former Wormwood grimaced. "Apparently the bad guys weren't so careful with their curses and I think my ankle is... shattered? I don't really know all the details." she admitted with a small shrug. "Er, if my parents ask, I'm just staying here for observation. I don't want them to worry. Will you be okay?" the witch ask, casting Tess a concerned look.
Back to top Go down
Tess Holmes
Graduate
Graduate
Tess Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Good Times Bad Times (Tess)   Good Times Bad Times (Tess) EmptyThu Aug 14, 2014 1:48 pm

"They're not used to magic and what with me getting hurt, they panicked." she offered as further explanation.

Ah. Muggleborn. She never really thought about Mary's blood purity till she brought it up, she expected maybe a halfblood since the last name wasn't known to her personally. But with the genres used at the ball and the muggle touches it was just Tess deluding herself. She had one muggleborn friend before, Adamina, who was very kind and very effervescent about even the smallest things. She missed her, that much was clear to her.

She'd never met muggles before, and they seemed so..normal. Except from their ill-fitting clothing and looking a bit silly in their sleeping garments, she could have distinguished distraught parents anywhere. That was the norm, and it seemed it was a universal action to dote over their child.

"We'll just ask someone else." she said. And then Tess told het she didn't even know how she got here. "Oh, I brought you in. You, er, passed out when you were thrown across the room and I, you know, didn't want you to die, so...

Mary's confession made her try to sit up straight, only to wince immediately laying down instead, cursing softly as her hand went to her side. She was very grateful to Mary, but felt uncomfortable knowing that her life was saved by someone who had no motive behind it. It was foreign, and she didn't like the feeling.

"Thank you for bringing me here" she said shyly, "I-I'll tell my parents of what you have done, they'll be happy to grant you with a gift of some sort in our family's gratitude I assure you"

Death. She didn't want her to die? Tess had given up when she had just let herself fall unconscious. Everything was so distorted, the moments of Constance's death vivid at least before her eyes began to fall, and her head couldn't stop pounding. It was all frustrating to think the outcome wasn't clear, if anyone else had died, and if she had failed.

"Apparently the bad guys weren't so careful with their curses and I think my ankle is... shattered? I don't really know all the details." she admitted with a small shrug. "Er, if my parents ask, I'm just staying here for observation. I don't want them to worry. Will you be okay?"

The nonchalance in her injury was interesting to note, and she smiled shyly at the girl. She was done with Salem apparently, and this was definitely a memorable way to end it. A shattered ankle, and being in a giant hospital room.

"I'm not even supposed to be talking to anyone" she commented "Father doesn't want anything released to the press about me being here. But I'll be fine, in maybe a few days I'll be taken to St. Mungos, Mother don't like the fact that the hospital is understaffed since the event. I don't really care, I just want my ribs to heal and my headaches to be gone"
Back to top Go down
Mary McNeely
Graduate
Graduate
Mary McNeely

PostSubject: Re: Good Times Bad Times (Tess)   Good Times Bad Times (Tess) EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 5:43 am

"Thank you for bringing me here" she said shyly, "I-I'll tell my parents of what you have done, they'll be happy to grant you with a gift of some sort in our family's gratitude I assure you" 

Mary noticed the change in Tess' demeanour, but she never could've guessed the words thar followed. She let out a surprised chuckle and raised her eyebrows. "That's not necessary, Tess. I didn't do it to get an award, I did to... well, because it was the thing to do." She finished lamely and looked down in embarrassment. This was definitely not the best time to ve explaining things, the headache made thinking nearly impossible.

She smiled back and then listened as the British witch explained. "Oh, if you need to sleep, go ahead!" Mary said, hurriedly. The comment about the press made her frown a bit in confusion. She knew the Holmes family was pureblood and rich, but she never got why pureblood families are thought of as celebrities. Blood purity was such a weird concept. When she had started Salem, some people had treated her differently because of her parents and she couldn't figure out why. Then she read some books and found out that those people thought she was worth less because her family wasn't magic. That was one of the reasons she pushed herself to the limits and wanted to achieve highest marks, to prove them wrong and show them she was just as capable, if not more. Yes, blood purity was a confusing and silly concept indeed.

"Well, I won't say anything to the press about you." Mary laughed. She nodded at Tess' Mother's discomfort of the hospital being understaffed. "I suppose it's not very pleasant for them that you're in a hospital on a different continent. Unconvenient."

Mary sighed. "Honestly, I know there's potions for that, why haven't we got anything yet." she said, disgruntled. She herself brew such potions under Professor Holmes' tutorage and sent them here. There should be enough for everybody and they're not that hard to brew.
Back to top Go down
Tess Holmes
Graduate
Graduate
Tess Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Good Times Bad Times (Tess)   Good Times Bad Times (Tess) EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 2:37 pm

"That's not necessary, Tess. I didn't do it to get an award, I did to... well, because it was the thing to do."

Random kindness, really? This witch was definitely not the usual person you met. She was always told that if someone helped her out it was only customary to pay with gifts, money fixed things, mended them and ended a debt. Tess did feel she owed Mary something, simply because even though it was an act of kindness it was towards seemingly the wrong person. She didn't expect anyone to even notice her on the ground, let alone help her get out. It was an uncomfortable feeling that she would examine once she was alone and could pinpoint the emotion.

"Still...if money is not sufficient I owe you one I suppose" she added quietly.

At the mention of her going to sleep Tess shrugged it off. She needed to let her mind go quiet, her body was sore, so very sore, but her head, the pounding was enough to have once brought her to tears. The tears were now at bay, and a dull throbbing had just taken over her.

"Well, I won't say anything to the press about you." Mary laughed.

Turning over to face her, it was the first time in a week that Tess let out a genuine smile. She knew that the girl was only teasing, and wouldn't understand the magnitude of the situation when it came to the press. It wasn't because it was "Tess" but rather "younger Holmes", or anything related to her family and most importantly her brother's position of power. No matter how wide the rift was between the two of them, it was clear that the blame for her not being able to be protected properly lied on Mycroft.

"Thank you, but if you're approached just say I was never here, it's easier to get them confused than give them a real statement"

She sighed thinking about her mother's fit, it was quiet, more hush than anything, because as she always said ' walls have ears'. The main reason wasn't just that they were understaffed, but all the patients being given the same treatment: neglect. She'd argued how she deserved her own room, her own staff to take care of her and get her out of there.

"Honestly, I know there's potions for that, why haven't we got anything yet." she said, disgruntled.

She hummed in agreement at the notion of those potions being brought out. What she wouldn't give for something to just calm her nerves down.

"They're severely overwhelmed with everything" she replied annoyed herself, "they are taking donations for potions at the moments, and my brother is on it, hopefully we'll all be able to get some kind of soothers"
Back to top Go down
Mary McNeely
Graduate
Graduate
Mary McNeely

PostSubject: Re: Good Times Bad Times (Tess)   Good Times Bad Times (Tess) EmptySun Aug 17, 2014 2:08 pm

"Still...if money is not sufficient I owe you one I suppose" she added quietly.

"I didn't-" Mary said quickly, she didn't mean to make Tess feel guilty about owing her anything. And then she realized it was how she was brought up and, well, having your life saved was quite a big deal, regardless of one's upbringing. She nodded, smiling. "Alright, just do me a favour one day."

As Tess shrugged off going to sleep, Mary gave a sad smile. Perhaps it was the headache making sleep impossible, or trauma. Or possibly both. The circumstances in which the two witches had found themselves in were less than ideal and even though she knew the hospital staff were doing the best they could, Mary still wished they could be more efficient. Of course, she wouldn't complain because the work had to be overwhelming, but that didn't mean she couldn't be annoyed.

"Thank you, but if you're approached just say I was never here, it's easier to get them confused than give them a real statement"

The witch nodded in agreement. "I think my Mom would just yell at them if they stop us, to be honest. She's fed up with everything and that never ends well for the people who upset her." she grinned.

"They're severely overwhelmed with everything" she replied annoyed herself, "they are taking donations for potions at the moments, and my brother is on it, hopefully we'll all be able to get some kind of soothers"

Mary smiled and hummed happily. If Professor Holmes was making the potions, at least they'd be of the finest quality. "Well that's the best news today. Still, they could just give some Aspirin or something for the headache. I'm sure there's a pharmacist's somewhere in this city."

Back to top Go down
Tess Holmes
Graduate
Graduate
Tess Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Good Times Bad Times (Tess)   Good Times Bad Times (Tess) EmptySun Aug 17, 2014 4:05 pm

Once Mary agreed that she was owed a favor by her, Tess was satisfied. She didn't know exactly what or how the favor would come to be, but she knew enough to know, it was worth it. At her age she admits that she forgot that she was a mortal, instead concentrating on the fact that the end of her life would happen in the long distant future.

Rubbing her temples she looked around the room; the room was dimly lit, other candles completely shut off, only turning on when the patient was awake. It was quiet too, sometimes a groan, sometimes movement from the beds, nightmares. It was all very uncomfortable to see. Her own candle was lit dimly, she couldn't handle bright lighting at the moment, anything would hurt her eyes and would instantly give her the crippling migraine.

"I think my Mom would just yell at them if they stop us, to be honest. She's fed up with everything and that never ends well for the people who upset her."

When Mary spoke about her mother, Tess smiled softly. It seemed that there was definitely a quirk about the mother, very strong willed, and it was a strange quality to have. But then again, she was a muggle. Muggles were confusing to her, so complicated yet so simple in certain aspects.

"Then she'll definitely be an asset when you get out of here. They want pictures, names, actions, everything and are pushy. Be careful you don't say too much about yourself, it always comes back to haunt you if you do"

She spoke about something that was an aspirin, Tess nodded not really knowing what she was talking about. She was only going to show some sign of ignorance if she really needed to know what something was. From the headaches talk, it seemed it was something to do with medicine. She didn't want to over think it.

"I just can't stand just laying in bed. I-I can't stay still, it will drive me to madness. Do you know when you're getting out?" she asked frustrated with herself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good Times Bad Times (Tess)   Good Times Bad Times (Tess) Empty

Back to top Go down

Good Times Bad Times (Tess)
Page 1 of 1