Hogwarts, A Future
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hogwarts, A Future

Sixteen Years After the War has Ended, Two Wizarding Schools Exist. Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and Salem Academy

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Azalea Harrington
Graduate
Graduate
Azalea Harrington

Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)  Empty
PostSubject: Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)    Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)  EmptySat May 03, 2014 8:09 am

The smell of fresh brewed coffee snaked through the kitchen, making Azalea take a leisurely deep breath as she prepared the scrambled eggs, pouring in a careful measure of milk. It seemed so long ago that Jake had taught her how to make those eggs, just more proof that the witch - despite all her doubts when she had first moved in with her boyfriend - was now quite self sufficient.

The Saturday morning had downed unusually dull for this time of year, the grey sky outside threatening rain. But it had been kind enough to let Azalea sleep in which the young woman had, enjoying the luxury of a late morning on the first weekend of term. Jake appeared to have had the same idea though he rarely slept later than her, today being an exception.

A small frown touched the witch's forehead as she went to collect the mail, pushing it all on the table. She had yet to reschedule with Healer Derwent, something she promised to herself she would do today. A small card from Luce, what looked like Clara's cluttered handwriting on an envelope, subscriptions to magazines she and Jake perused and what looked like an official envelope addressed to Jake. The witch left it all at the counter as she moved to take out the eggs.

The toaster rang, signalling the bread done and along with Jake's tea, the witch laid his breakfast on the table, going back for her own coffee and a bowl of grapes that was her own breakfast.

Taking a sip of her own black coffee, Azalea wondered if she should wake her boyfriend or just leave the food warm. What with his busy schedule, the Quidditch star rarely got any rest and Azalea wasn't sure if she had it in her heart to wake him just yet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)    Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)  EmptySat May 03, 2014 8:22 am

The first week of term had been very stressful for Jake, he'd never had to think about what he was going to wear to teach, nor had he really had to think about the actual subject matter. Not really. But teaching Defence Against the Dark Arts had been a big step up, and he owed Azalea once more for the constant support she offered him.

Their relationship had turned away from the muddied water of the summer, something Jake was vastly glad about, and back in to it's regular pattern of affection that Azalea would always deserve. The couple were, despite Jake's tiredness, very happy once again.

The fixtures for the year had been kind to Jake, meaning he had no game the first weekend of the school schedule. The young man had rolled in to the flat just after half past ten last night after his initial meeting with Mary, to find dinner still warm for him. He'd been slightly sheepish coming home so late from work, but Azalea hadn't called him out, merely pressing him in to his seat and telling him to eat. And Jake had obliged as Azalea hurried off to do something that he didn't quite catch.

What time they'd finally fallen asleep, Jake couldn't recall, but with no need to get up, it didn't much matter.

Sleeping late was never Jake's thing, so finding the alarm clock saying it was gone eleven when Jake opened his eyes made him groan softly. Rubbing his eyes, Jake padded to his drawers to find a pair of sweat pants and a shirt. A quick visit to the bathroom and a wash of his face and Jake was in the kitchen, following the heavenly smell of cooked eggs and toast that had become Azalea's best dish over the year. Though, saying that, ever dish was Azalea's best, because she would never let him eat anything less than that.

"Morning." Jake spoke softly, still half asleep as he leant down to kiss Azalea between sips of her coffee which smelt much too strong after just waking up. "Sorry, slept late. You should have woken me." He told her softly, taking his seat and tucking in to his food almost instantly. A soft sound of content left Jake a moment later, using his knife to point at the food. "S'good." He managed, barely finishing his words before another mouthful went in, repeating the exercise.

There was no finer meal than one that had been prepared for you, than one that was prepared with such... fondness.

Last edited by Jake Newbury on Tue May 20, 2014 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Azalea Harrington
Graduate
Graduate
Azalea Harrington

PostSubject: Re: Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)    Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)  EmptySat May 03, 2014 8:57 am

As it turned out, the internal debate didn't have to last long as the subject himself walked into the kitchen, looking thoroughly relaxed and sleepy, only to give her a kiss between her coffee.

"Sorry, slept late. You should have woken me."

"Why," the witch asked, a perfectly made up eyebrow raised. Waking someone up when they were so peacefully asleep without the presence of an emergency was akin to a crime in the witch's book. "Sleeping in is good for you, especially now that you need to work so much."

As he complimented the food, the brunette felt the light dusting of pink on her cheeks, a reaction that only ever came for Jake. Smiling fondly, the witch sipped her coffee, watching him eat his breakfast.

"Mail's arrived, there's a horridly important letter which looks like its from the bank, so naturally you're dealing with that," she said, picking up a grape and rolling it in her fingers, testing the flesh before inserting it into her mouth.

"And I have to reschedule with Healer Derwent, again."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)    Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)  EmptySat May 03, 2014 9:16 am

"Sleeping in is good for you, especially now that you need to work so much."

"Don't need to work so much. I like working." Jake corrected softly, Merlin knew their bank account was incredibly full from their combined salaries. Jake merely did it for the satisfaction. "Anyway, you know I don't get paid to teach." Jake reminded her, the two schools had offered for Defence Against the Dark Arts, but Jake had politely declined.

"Mail's arrived, there's a horridly important letter which looks like its from the bank, so naturally you're dealing with that,"

A small forwn touched Jake's features at the mention of a bank letter, making the young man lean over to take the envelope in question and open it very carefully. "I don't know why... there is plenty of money in there..." Jake explained, confused as to why they'd be getting in touch for any of reason. But the letter wasn't from the bank.

Taking a moment, Jake read through the letter, his frown lessening as he read until finally he smiled at the page. "Not from the bank. I have another modelling job. On my own this time." Jake explained, passing the letter over the table so Azalea could have a read through the details.

"And I have to reschedule with Healer Derwent, again."

"Who cancelled this time?" Jake asked, a soft note of teasing in his voice. There had been a couple of reschedulings from what he'd noted, and it amused him that the two witches were incapable of finding a mutual date to be free.

Last edited by Jake Newbury on Tue May 20, 2014 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Azalea Harrington
Graduate
Graduate
Azalea Harrington

PostSubject: Re: Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)    Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)  EmptySat May 03, 2014 9:33 am

"Don't need to work so much. I like working. Anyway, you know I don't get paid to teach."

The witch noded, feeling the familiar buzz of monotony taking place whenever Jake talked about money and being paid. The witch had no idea what her own salary was, only that it was some numbers in a cheque that she had long forwarded to Jake's vault at the bank. Whatever was in there was not her concern.

"Not from the bank. I have another modelling job. On my own this time."

"Oh wow, they must really like you," the witch congratulated as Jake handed the letter over to her to read. It was a standard enough letter, stating the brand and location of the shoot. Payment was supposed to be discussed with Jake's agent, something Azalea was glad for as she wouldn't have understood the figure anyway.

When the Quidditch star lightly teased her about her appointment at the hospital, the witch pouted. "You know it was my fault, but I didn't intend to do it," she protested. Azalea was usually very good at keeping appointments so this one being hindered was a constant source of annoyance. "I think Healer Derwent is starting to get the idea that I don't want to see her."

Picking up another grape, the witch squeezed it between her fingers before popping it between her lips. Azalea chewed the fruit thoughtfully, swallowing it quietly before she spoke. "I don't even know why she wants to see me, Victoria's doing so well. And she should be talking to Chloe, not me. I'm not a physiotherapist."

Still, she would have to reschedule the appointment, even if the brunette knew it was unnecessary. 'And I can't go next weekend, I'm supposed to be touring the new campus, Unseen University," she said carefully, trying not to sound like she had held out on Jake. "They wrote to me two weeks ago..." she began, not needing to add that it was the time they hadn't been talking to each other. "The university wants me to teach a course, and yes, they know I myself never went to one. That was why I was so surprised."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)    Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)  EmptySat May 03, 2014 9:41 am

"Oh wow, they must really like you,"

Jake nodded at the comment, and then shrugged, turning his attention back to his food before it got cold. "Must be, but it's actually quite fun... I mean besides the make up and the... stuff." Jake explained, showing he didn't completely understand. "But the actual photo shoot is fun. Who was the brand?" Jake asked, realising he'd completely over looked that part.

"You know it was my fault, but I didn't intend to do it,"

Jake let out a soft chuckle at her admission. He'd known it was Azalea without her saying anything. But the next comment made him pause for thought. "Why wouldn't you want to see her? It was your findings. Well, yours and James'. If she wanted to know about Victoria, she'd speak to her, so obviously she wants something from you."

And the next point really did make Jake pause.

Unseen University.

"That... is... Congratulations!" Jake exclaimed, a really big smile taking hold of his lips. "That, is an outstanding achievement!" He insisted, though he probably didn't need to do that. "What are they asking you to teach?" Jake continued, knowing it was likely something Herbology related, but he wanted something a little more specific than that.

Back to top Go down
Azalea Harrington
Graduate
Graduate
Azalea Harrington

PostSubject: Re: Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)    Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)  EmptySat May 03, 2014 9:57 am

"Must be, but it's actually quite fun... I mean besides the make up and the... stuff."

Azalea simply shook her head, amused at his lack of knowledge of the modelling world. But then again, he didn't grow up with Kit and the line of aspiring models that used to follow her dad around everywhere, begging for a photo opportunity. If Azalea had to guess, she would say it was Jake's lack of understanding, and therefore lack of nerves, was what appealed to the camera the most.

"Some Quidditch attire and equipment brand, there's a name..." the witch reached out for the letter once more to confirm. "A chain called Quality Quidditch Supplies, their new Fall catalogue is out but they need one for winter, so likely you'll be shooting for what's in style this winter," the witch guessed.

"Why wouldn't you want to see her? It was your findings. Well, yours and James'. If she wanted to know about Victoria, she'd speak to her, so obviously she wants something from you."

"Mhm," the Herbologist agreed, still not entirely convinced. Hospitals were not meeting places, they were for sick people. And Healer Derwent would never make it to the top ten of Azalea's favourite people list.

"That, is an outstanding achievement!"

"Thank you," the witch replied, a discreet smile on her lips. She hadn't expected that big of a reaction, her own having been more surprised than pleased.

"I'm not sure who the patron are but apparently word of my... well, the thing I do reached them somehow. I thought they were offering me a Herbology related position too but they want to test me out in a general area first. I have a few options, Bones, blood, health sciences. I'm supposed to meet them next week to discus my options. Apparently its in the Healing faculty." The last sentence was uttered with some sense of pride. Maybe if she got the job, she could write to her dad and make him proud, a little token for not going to university herself.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)    Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)  EmptySat May 03, 2014 10:07 am

"A chain called Quality Quidditch Supplies, their new Fall catalogue is out but they need one for winter, so likely you'll be shooting for what's in style this winter,"

"Neat!" Jake replied, smiling to himself. Quality Quidditch Supplies was one of the bigger brands of Quidditch apparel, except the obvious broom brands that were... well, the biggest. This was a good chain to get in to, not that Jake completely understood the world of modelling, but he knew when he was doing well for himself.

The dismissal of seeing Healer Derwent told Jake to leave it. If Azalea wanted to talk about it, and if she didn't she wouldn't say a word. But with either situation, he would be right there to support her, as he always was.

"Thank you,"

"You don't have to thank me for being proud of you, Azalea." Jake told her softly, letting out a small chuckle at her formality. The explanation at what she would be teaching made Jake pause for thought. Obviously he knew she was capable enough to make medicines, of a kind with what she did for Victoria. But... bloods, bones and medical classes, Jake didn't know whether she did that. Though, if Azalea believed she could do it, that was enough for him. "And that all sounds terribly complicated." He joked, subtly letting her know he had no clue about such things.

"So you'll have to prove your capabilities in that area in a couple of weeks? And then you'll be teaching... Healers?" Jake enquired further, wondering how these things worked.

Back to top Go down
Azalea Harrington
Graduate
Graduate
Azalea Harrington

PostSubject: Re: Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)    Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)  EmptySat May 03, 2014 10:19 am

"You don't have to thank me for being proud of you, Azalea."

"I know I don't have to," the witch replied, replacing her nearly empty coffee mug back on the table. But politeness was always something appreciated in the Newbury household and Azalea had no problem complying on that part. It was sad to see courtesy disappearing from the world slowly, and it was sadder still when Azalea realized she was old enough to actually think that.

"And that all sounds terribly complicated."

The witch nodded, understanding the unspoken request for more information. "Well, i can't do what I do without knowing fully the structure of both plants and human beings," she explained, leaning forwards a little bit in her enthusiasm. "To integrate the body with flora, I would need to know how they both react to each other. So for example, a knowledge of blood is just one subsection of what I would need to know. I work on a cellular level these days, like I did with Victoria's cure. So without being a show off, asking me to teach about blood is like asking you to teach people how to mount a broom."

"And then you'll be teaching... Healers?"

"Well, aspiring Healers," the witch corrected, failing to keep the aforementioned note of pride from her voice. "And Aurors, and Herbologists and Potioneers. And basically anyone who wants to know more about the subject."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)    Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)  EmptySat May 03, 2014 10:39 am

"I know I don't have to,"

A small smile was the acknowledgement of Jake's thanks for her manners, his parents had always been overly strict on such things. Jake liked to think he did them proud by upholding such things, though he couldn't always be sure. Putting his knife and fork down on his empty plate, Jake reached forward to the fruit bowl in the middle of the table, putting his hand on an apple and looking up to Azalea. "You don't mind, right?" He asked, he was hungry this morning, though he couldn't say why.

When Azalea sat forwards on her chair and began to explain the greater complexities of her knowledge, Jake was a tiny bit awed. He couldn't say he knew much about what she was explaining, but he understood that basics, and... he'd underestimated her. A lot. "I didn't realise..." You were so vastly intelligent. Jake finished in his head, because he knew if he said those words out loud she would take it the wrong way. He was genuinely, geniunely proud of her. "My very clever herbologist and... Healer, eh?" He added a moment later, hoping that it would be something.

The list of who she'd be teaching made Jake nod along to show he was listening. "That, is quite a number of people! But, I'm sure you'll do great! And it's another paycheck!" He added, winking at her. Azalea didn't need to know the financial position they were to know that they were more than comfortable in how they lived, well, in hindsight the only thing that did any damage to their bank balance was her clothes shopping, and even that wasn't something Jake was going to bat an eyelid at.

Last edited by Jake Newbury on Tue May 20, 2014 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Azalea Harrington
Graduate
Graduate
Azalea Harrington

PostSubject: Re: Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)    Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)  EmptySat May 03, 2014 10:49 am

"I didn't realise..."

"A total nerd?" Azalea completed, laughing openly. "What can I say, when you're a Nightshade, you're supposed to maintain a certain image. And now you know why James and I get on like a house on fire," she explained as Jake munched on the apple. It seemed he was more hungry than she expected and the witch left the table for a moment, retrieving the box of cereal he preferred along with his greek style yogurt and a clean bowl.

"My very clever herbologist and... Healer, eh?"

"Well, no," the witch admitted, looking down at her own mug of coffee as the ame light pink graced her cheekbones once more. "At least, I don't have a degree to show that I'm a Healer. But I was thinking..." Here, Azalea trailed of, wondering if she should mention the thoughts that had been circulating through her mind these last few days.

"I know its silly, I never really wanted to go to college. But there might be an option where if I just write a dissertation on something, Granny Weatherwax knows I've done enough research without going to a class to pull it off."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)    Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)  EmptySat May 03, 2014 11:00 am

"A total nerd?"

"That's not what I said!" Jake insisted, but laughing along with her anyway. "I always thought it was his unmanly blondeness." He added at the comment of why James and her got along. Jake was teasing, of course, he knew full well that James and Azalea were just friends. "But, it's good, the whole being so clever thing. I just didn't realise how clever you were. Merlin knows how you put up with me!" The last was said lightly, Jake knew he wasn't the cleverest person in the world, but he was clever enough.

More food arrived at the table and Jake let out a soft laugh, apparently his hunger hadn't gone unnoticed. "Thanks." He breathed, reaching for the box and pouring out an ample bowl before pouring yoghurt over the top.

"At least, I don't have a degree to show that I'm a Healer. But I was thinking..."

"You want to be a Healer." Jake finished for her, nodding his head slowly to show he approved of the choice. Though, even if Azalea came home and told him she wanted to be toilet cleaner, he'd be proud of her. Even if Azalea told him she no longer wanted to work, he would be proud of her. Because the job she did didn't make her anything less than his Azalea.

"If that's what you want, then go ahead. I'll support you whatever you want to do." Jake told her as she explained what she'd have to do. "And I'll pay the money over for any fees that will be incurred to do it. Well, from our bank, but I'll do the transaction for you." He amended quickly, not wanting her to think he meant anything else. It wouldn't be cheap, but Azalea would be worth every penny.

Last edited by Jake Newbury on Tue May 20, 2014 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Azalea Harrington
Graduate
Graduate
Azalea Harrington

PostSubject: Re: Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)    Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)  EmptySat May 03, 2014 11:11 am

"You want to be a Healer."

"Actually, no, not really a Healer. But I might get a doctorate. Its kind of like cheating but its more knowledge based than practical based. And seeing as I doubt any facility in the world will be better equipped to teach me herbology than my own greenhouses, I thought I would just write a thesis and... submit that in." It was lame, she knew, but it was still in the working stages. And if she got a doctorate out of it anyway, it would be something to appease Kit and Clara. Hell it might even look good under her name on official documents.

"And I'll pay the money over for any fees that will be incurred to do it. Well, from our bank, but I'll do the transaction for you."

"Oh, I didn't think about that," the witch admitted honestly, realizing the flaw in her plan. "I'll ask about that... money stuff when I'm there next week. But be warned whatever papers containing figures I'm leaving for you to sort though," she added seriously. Besides, it couldn't be that much, the brunette figured. If it was an option to her, it was affordable, that was how the world worked.

"So what's the plan for today?" she asked, changing the subject. All this talk of gold was annoying. "I have an exciting day of laundry planned, well, that and grading homework."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)    Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)  EmptySat May 03, 2014 11:31 am

As Azalea contented herself with explaining what she had been thinking about doing, Jake nodded in the right places. Bar eating his breakfast, Jake was wholly attentive to the situation, making sure he understood what she wanted so he could help her move forwards. But for the most part, it seemed Azalea had made up her mind. "I say go for it." Jake insisted, giving her an encouraging nod to show it was okay to give it a go.

The money matter, Jake waved away. Tuition fees Jake knew about, from when he'd been looking at Auror training. Expensive to most people, crippling their finances before they even started to work, but Azalea wasn't just anybody and how much money she needed to complete such a thing wouldn't cause even a dent in the funds they had available.

It was funny how a career you never expected to partake in gave you much more freedom than you'd deem to be possible.

"So what's the plan for today?"

The question came just as Jake put his spoon down, a thoughtful look taking his face for a moment as he tried to think about what he had planned. Azalea explained her own and he frowned slightly. "Well, that simply won't do..." Jake replied, a knowing smile touching his lips as he stood from the table, moving behind Azalea and wrapping his arms around her. His lips ghosted her neck as he softly explained how he saw today being spent, mentioning the two things she had on her list mixed with a lot more fun than she'd anticipated.

The duo didn't make it out of the kitchen until an hour later, a satisfied grin on Jake's face as Azalea mock complained that he'd held her up. A comment about not holding her would have made things a lot harder, causing a tea towel to be thrown his way as Azalea sent him off for a shower.

Things were slowly coming back to normal, and Jake couldn't have been happier.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)    Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)  Empty

Back to top Go down

Said no more counting dollars, we'll be counting stars (Jazalea)
Page 1 of 1