Hogwarts, A Future
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hogwarts, A Future

Sixteen Years After the War has Ended, Two Wizarding Schools Exist. Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and Salem Academy

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Extra Lessons (Jake)

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Extra Lessons (Jake) Empty
PostSubject: Extra Lessons (Jake)   Extra Lessons (Jake) EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 7:03 am

Having had skipped a week of school, she knew that she was slightly behind, and with her O.W.Ls around the corner, she was nervous that she would not be able to catch up on her own. Although she had tried practising, she found herself unable to do certain things without the proper materials - or in the case of 'Riddikulus', a creature.

After checking her schedule, she found a free period between classes and quickly sent an owl to Jake, asking if it was possible he could give her a helping hand. He had agreed, and so on a Monday afternoon, she made her way up to the second floor, more nervous than exited at finally being able to try the spell. She knocked on the door before entering, immediately noticing the chest.

"Hello Profe-" she started, before remembering her first meeting with him. "Uh, I mean, Jake. Thank you for agreeing to help me." Despite the nerves at what she was about to face, she smiled at him, trying not to think of anything negative.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extra Lessons (Jake)   Extra Lessons (Jake) EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 7:08 am

Jake was scanning over the note Brooke had sent him, denoting the subject she wished to get extra help with. He'd acquired a Boggart for the afternoon for the witch's use and the room was clear of everything else. The professor had just folded the parchment over, ready to be put in Brooke's folder when a knock came at the door and the witch in question entered.

"Good afternoon, Brooke." Jake replied, smiling at her correction. It didn't matter which she chose to be honest, but Jake preferred his pupils to be comfortable around him. That way it made it easier to ask for help like the witch before him had.

"And you don't need to thank me, for hard working students like yourself, this is no trouble." Jake told the witch, standing up from his desk and moving around it, motioning to the box in the middle of the room. "I got a Boggart to play with, but before we do that, have you read up on the spell at all?" Jake asked the witch, hoping that she had, but not at all worried if she hadn't.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extra Lessons (Jake)   Extra Lessons (Jake) EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 7:16 am

"I got a Boggart to play with, but before we do that, have you read up on the spell at all?"

She nodded, slightly less enthusiastic than normal, but that was a given, considering what she was about to face. "Riddikulus. It basically forces the boggart to a shape the caster finds funny, because laughter defeats a boggart," she summarized what she had read, not bothering to go into too much detail.

Removing her wand, she traced a bowl like shape in the air. "Is that the correct movement?" she asked, not completely sure.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extra Lessons (Jake)   Extra Lessons (Jake) EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 7:20 am

As the witch explained what she knew, Jake's face lit up with her words. She had done her reading, which was nice to see, it gave him hope that perhaps Victoria's obsession with books wasn't just something she'd picked up. "Correct in everything there!" Jake replied happily, watching her wand movement.

"And once again correct!" The professor admitted, really happy with her knowledge. "Now, for many the first time they see their Boggart can be a bit of a shock. You might think you know what you fear, but it's not always the case. I'll be right here if you get stuck, so please don't worry. Just take a deep breath, and give me a thumbs up when you're ready." Jake told the witch, moving around the back of the trunk and getting ready to open it for the witch.

OOC: Permission to GM Jake opening the trunk.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extra Lessons (Jake)   Extra Lessons (Jake) EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 7:35 am

Her smile grew wider at each mention of her being right. She had spent a lot of time reading up on everything she had missed out on, and having it pay off was a very rewarding feeling. Once he gave her the go ahead, she stepped forward and paused.

Taking a few deep breaths, she tried to mentally prepare herself for what she would see. Already she had a few ideas at to what exactly what shape the boggart would appear, all of them involving Joe. Pointing her wand directly at the chest, she used her free hand to send Jake a quick thumbs up and then waited.

At first, the chest appeared empty, but then a person started to climb out, stopping a few feet in front of her, and she froze, her heart starting to race. Not once did it cross her mind that the boggart would take the form of Josh Murray, but there he was, the smirk obvious. He took a step towards her and she immediately tried to move back, her mind once again bringing her back to that night in the bathroom and the pain she had felt both during and after. Like a scene on replay, she tripped in her haste to get away from the figure of the Slytherin, finding herself suddenly sprawled on the floor as he approached. "R-r-rddikulus," she tried, her voice barely above a squeak. Nothing happened, she she automatically closed her eyes, afraid of what would happen when he reached her.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extra Lessons (Jake)   Extra Lessons (Jake) EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:02 am

As he opened the trunk, Jake took out his wand in his left hand as usual, moving around the trunk but staying just out of the Boggarts way. There were many things you expected Boggarts to turn in to, but another student was not one that Jake had seen before. His eyes moved away from the Boggart in the form of Josh Murray to Brooke, watching her and silently willing her to beat her fears.

As the witch slipped, Jake's wand instinctively moved to cushion her fall on to the flagstone floors. And after the attempt in which Brooke didn't succeed in changing the image on the approaching Boggart, Jake cut across the front of it. The shift took a few moments, evidently the Boggart was unsure of Jake's fears as he was in himself, but eventually the image changed.

The image of Victoria turned itself towards Jake, the obvious signs of being hurt clear on her body. Blood, scratches, bruises were all present and Jake could feel bile rising in his throat. The idea of Victoria... The wizard shook his head, holding his wand firmly. "Riddikulus!" Jake spoke, venom evident in his tone as the cracking sound of the spell filled the room. The Boggart switched to Victoria wearing a rather silly looking duck outfit as she quacked, Jake let out a soft peel of laughter, shunning the Boggart back in to the trunk with a heavy click of the lock.

Turning to the witch, Jake offered his hand to the witch, to help her up from the ground. "Are you okay?" He asked, genuinely worried that she might be hurt or shaken. He wasn't going to pry in to the witch's fears, because it wasn't his place to. "Take a couple of moments, and we can try again, if you like?" Jake suggested.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extra Lessons (Jake)   Extra Lessons (Jake) EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:37 am

As she lay there, thinking of the worst, she heard other movement and a voice repeat the spell she had so miserably failed to perform. A whip-like noise told her that the spell had worked, and a few moments later, she opened her eyes to see Jake's hand, which she accepted hesitatingly.

"Are you okay?"

Was she? If she were to answer that honestly, she would have said that she didn't know, that she might be, but that she wasn't truly sure if she could ever get over... - but she merely gave a wavering smile, not wanting to cause worry for any more people, but unable to lie directly to a professor. "I - I forgot it wasn't real," she admitted, a slight flush appearing on her cheeks. "It can't h-hurt me."

Focusing on the job at hand, she nodded at his offer to go again. "I want to get it right," she said firmly, more to convince herself than anyone else. Now that she knew what to expect, she hoped it would go more smoothly. Stepping forward, she gripped her wand tighter than before, a determined look on her face. The chest was again opened by Jake, and, again, the Slytherin Prefect emerged.

This time, she was ready, and she stared him down, willing herself to do what she hadn't been able to do before and stand up to him. Of course, she knew it wasn't really him and that it was merely a creature who happened to be able to make itself look like him, but that didn't really matter to her as she raised her wand, pointing it directly at his smug face.

""I own -"

The Josh-figure had begun to speak, and Brooke could instantly tell what he was about to say; how could she forget? She forced herself to ignore it, thinking back to when she had kissed Joe, the way she felt and they way he had returned the kiss. He had lost. Wasn't that what she had told Joe? "R-riddikulus," she tried, the stutter stopping the spell from doing anything.

Taking a deep breath, she focused, and tried again. "Riddikulus." A loud crack echoed around the place, and at first, nothing seemed to happen. But then the Josh-figure's smirk disappeared, and he - no, it - stumbled, falling down as she had done earlier. Trying to stand up, it tripped again, falling face first into the floor, and she giggled at the sight of the once seemingly faultless person flailing on the floor.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extra Lessons (Jake)   Extra Lessons (Jake) EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 8:57 am

"It can't h-hurt me."

"It can't hurt you." Jake replied, much more confident in that fact as he reassured the witch, helping her back to her feet. When the witch said she was happy to have another go, Jake obliged the wishes, moving back to behind the trunk and getting ready. When the signal was given, Jake opened the trunk once more, watching the Boggart step out of the trunk and slowly move towards the witch.

Careful and calculated in every single movement, so very much like the Josh Murray Jake had seen in his lessons. It was frightening in just how real the copy was, even if Jake didn't find the Slytherin scary in the slightest. But Brooke did, and this was precisely what the spell was all about, conquering your fears.

Just like the first time, Jake moved around the trunk, following the Boggart in case there was trouble. At the first falter from the Gryffindor, Jake moved a little closer, though a few moments later, it showed that that was not necessary. The crack of the spell sounded around the room, and Jake's eyes moved to the Boggart which seemed to fall over. And fall over again when it tried to get back to it's feet. Despite himself, Jake laughed at the image, until the Boggart retreated back in to the trunk.

When the snap of the lock sounded, Jake tuned his attention back to the witch, a bright smile on his lips. "Well done, Brooke! I'm very proud of you!" Jake told the witch, genuinely meaning every word he said. "Would you like another go, or have you had enough for today? Or, maybe something else?" He asked, summoning a chocolate wand which he offered to the witch for her efforts. It made the students happy, Azalea had told him a while back, but Jake didn't really know if that was true.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extra Lessons (Jake)   Extra Lessons (Jake) EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 4:50 am

"Well done, Brooke! I'm very proud of you!"

A smile played at her lips, but it was small and wavered slightly. She was glad that she had managed to complete the spell, but the figure that the boggart chose had taken her by surprise, and she was still shaken by it. The nightmares had subsided, coming only once in a few days, but they were still there, and to see such a perfect reflection of the person the dreams revolved around was not something she had expected.

"Would you like another go, or have you had enough for today? Or, maybe something else?"

Accepting the chocolate, she nibbled gently at it, still trying to compose herself. The first question was the easiest: a resounding no was already forming in her mind. She had faced it and gotten the spell right, but she had not conquered her fears, and to knowingly face Josh - even though she knew it wasn't really him - again was most definitely not something she wanted to do.

"I haven't been able to perform the patronus charm," she started, without fully realizing what she was saying. "Not even a small shield one. If... if you have time, could you help me?"

She blushed slightly as the words left her, slightly embarrassed. Spells had always been her forte; they came naturally to her, and to not be able to cast one no matter how hard she tired was frustrating.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extra Lessons (Jake)   Extra Lessons (Jake) EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 1:41 pm

The witch took the chocolate and began to eat it in a manner only women could manage to be so delicate with such food. A small smile touched Jake's lips at that thought, but nothing too noticeable given his usually bubbly nature.

"Not even a small shield one. If... if you have time, could you help me?"

"Course!" Jake replied to the witch with a smile. "Though I don't have a Dementor handy to work on, but we're in luck because you don't need one to practice!" He told the witch, flicking his wand towards the trunk which moved to the side of the room out of their way. "You know about a clear, positive memory, right? Of a strong nature to make the spell work?" Jake asked, twisting his wand between his fingers.

It was complex magic, but Jake was quite sure that the witch before him could manage it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extra Lessons (Jake)   Extra Lessons (Jake) EmptyMon Jul 28, 2014 5:48 am

She nodded and smiled at his acceptance to help her. "Thank you," she said softly. Half of her was glad for the chance to learn this complicated piece of magic, but she was scared she wouldn't be able to perform.

"You know about a clear, positive memory, right? Of a strong nature to make the spell work?"

Hesitating for a moment, she wondered if she should bring up the worry she had. Finally deciding that she had nothing to lose, she took a deep breath, staring at the floor while she spoke. "I can't find any that work. I don't mean I don't have happy, strong memories, but those come with bad ones tied together... I- I don't know how..." She trialled off, shaking her head. If she were to say anything more, she knew there was a risk she would begin to cry, and that was not something she wanted to happen.

Instead, she lifted her head to look at her Professor, her eyes dry and still relatively bright. "I really, really want to do this, but I just don't know how," she concluded.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extra Lessons (Jake)   Extra Lessons (Jake) EmptyMon Jul 28, 2014 1:25 pm

"I can't find any that work. I don't mean I don't have happy, strong memories, but those come with bad ones tied together... I- I don't know how..."

"It's not uncommon." Jake reassured the witch with a warm smile. "In fact, it's incredibly common that people can't find a strong enough memory to use. I'm sure you're aware if you've done any background reading that the Patronus Charm is actually one of the least successful charms to try to cast in our world. But, does that mean you're useless? Absolutely not, some of the greatest witches and wizards in the world have never been able to master it.

"Sometimes it's not even an obvious memory that is the happiest, nor does it even have to be specific..." Jake tried to explain, allowing a moment on the last point before he held up a finger in thought. "My Patronus memory is not one single memory, in fact, it's not any memory at all. The feelings, thoughts, moments I use revolve around only one person. My little sister, Victoria. Just how she is with the world. Perhaps you have somebody that means a lot to you that you can focus on, rather than a specific memory?" Jake asked softly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extra Lessons (Jake)   Extra Lessons (Jake) EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 8:38 am

She listened as he talked, nodding to show that she was paying attention. While she did know it was a hard charm, she had made it her personal goal to attempt it years ago when she had read about it, and it was frustrating her that she had not been able to produce even a hint of the silvery shield.

"Perhaps you have somebody that means a lot to you that you can focus on, rather than a specific memory?"

She didn't answer him immediately, the information being new to her. She had always thought that it had to be a single memory, and now to learn that it didn't surprised her. Almost at once, Tristan entered her head, quickly followed by Joe, and a small smile started. "Yes, I do," she said softly. "Could I focus on two people at the same time?" she wondered aloud, musing more to herself than the Professor, which was evident as she swallowed the last of the chocolate and raised her wand.

Closing her eyes momentarily, she thought of when she first met Tristan in the hospital, and then of how she felt when the adoption papers had been officially signed; then of meeting Joe, and the butterflies she had when she had kissed him. Jumping from moment to moment, feeling to feeling. A few moments later, with her eyes still closed, she took a deep breath and utter the two words, the six syllabus that had caused her so many problems. At the very last moment, her mind brought forth the fear she had when she was on the bathroom floor, and she hesitated, doing her best to try and keep that thought at bay, concentrating on other things. Feeling a small gush of wind, she opened her eyes excitedly, just in time to see the faintest trace of silver mist disappearing, barely having existed in the first place.

Slight disappointment was to be expected, for she had really tried, but that was soon replaced by the realization that she had actually done it! Sure, it wasn't a perfect patronus, and it certainly wouldn't do much against a dementor, but she had gotten something! "It- it worked!" she commented to no one in particular, a grin forming. "It actually worked!"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extra Lessons (Jake)   Extra Lessons (Jake) EmptyThu Jul 31, 2014 4:12 pm

Jake watched the witch give some thought to his words, and Jake wasn't at all surprised that the witch hesitated with what he'd said. Of course, most of the kids would be shocked to hear such things, because it wasn't in the textbook that they could deviate from a single memory. No, that came with personal experience, something Jake had found himself and planned to share with others.

Then the witch was giving it a shot, and Jake merely stood back to watch. Never had he asked a student to discuss their memories, but Jake could tell from the way people relaxed, or smiled, that they'd found a happy place. Brooke had, by the looks of it, and as she cast, Jake could see the proof.

"It- it worked!" she commented to no one in particular, a grin forming. "It actually worked!"

"It most certainly did!" Jake replied with equal enthusiasm as he moved closer. "It's not a corporeal Patronus yet, which isn't a bad thing, it'll still fend off Dementors for you! And with time, and practice, you might get to make a corporeal one. But it doesn't come over night, and you mustn't try for long periods of time because it's exhausting magic!" Jake explained, nodding to himself.

"So for that reason, that'll be enough, for today, Brooke." Jake told the witch, giving her a warm smile. "But if you ever need anything, I'm only an owl away."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Extra Lessons (Jake)   Extra Lessons (Jake) Empty

Back to top Go down

Extra Lessons (Jake)
Page 1 of 1