Hogwarts, A Future
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hogwarts, A Future

Sixteen Years After the War has Ended, Two Wizarding Schools Exist. Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and Salem Academy

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Herbology Lesson 3 (Years 4 and 5)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Herbology Lesson 3 (Years 4 and 5) Empty
PostSubject: Herbology Lesson 3 (Years 4 and 5)   Herbology Lesson 3 (Years 4 and 5) EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 1:03 am

His first lesson was also to be the last for the school semester, and Damien had no idea what he was supposed to be doing. There had not been many notes about what the previous Professor had covered, and he decided it was best to start with the bare basics. The Greenhouses were beautifully set up - although not as full of plants as he wished, and he soon settled right in. After getting the permission from Mycroft, he transferred a whole range of species from his own private Greenhouse in Ireland over to Hogwarts, intending to use them to teach with.

Behind him were large tables, each having a single Bubotuber. The tables were individually sectioned off by a length of string that left an empty space in which it sat. Glancing down at his watch, he noted that his last batch of students were due to arrive any time soon. Students arriving at the Greenhouse would be directed behind it, to the area he was now in; he saw no point in teaching Herbology in a classroom setting, much preferring to be outdoors. The Greenhouses he used to store plants, not much else. Thankfully, the weather had been rather accommodating, with no rain having wet the grassy area he was standing on. Leaning against the wall of the Greenhouse, he waited for the students to arrive.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Herbology Lesson 3 (Years 4 and 5)   Herbology Lesson 3 (Years 4 and 5) EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 3:03 am

Alexander was surprised to hear a new professor had come in for the last lesson, evidently the last one hadn't been up to scratch, or something. It was as he drew closer that Alexander saw the note to move to the back of the greenhouse, and with that in mind, Alexander had followed the instructions. What they would be doing he wasn't sure, so the boy simply stuck his hands in his pockets and took in the new professor.

Typical, they couldn't have some pretty young witch that he could at least find interesting for that reason. Plants were boring. Very boring. And the man before him looked even more so. Could he sneak away? Probably not now, so Alexander simply stood taking the professor in, not a word leaving his lips as he waited.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Herbology Lesson 3 (Years 4 and 5)   Herbology Lesson 3 (Years 4 and 5) EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 3:09 am

Hearing they had a new professor for Herbology, Victoria had positively squealed with delight. It was always lovely to meet new people, and the professor they had for the last two lessons had been one to just make them read from the book. Victoria had already read every single academic book Hogwarts asked them to, so reading in class was not something new to her. She would have to hope their new professor was a little more forthcoming with his ideas in this class.

Skipping down to the Herbology greenhouses, Victoria noted that they were to head behind the greenhouses and soon she was there. "Good morning, professor!" Victoria greeted their new professor. "I'm Victoria, Victoria Newbury, and it's great to have you here at Hogwarts!" She told him, genuinely meaning it. Acknowledging the boy who was already there with a soft 'hello' and a small smile, Victoria waited for the instructions of the class to be given, positively buzzing with excitement and enthusiasm.
Back to top Go down
Louise Grey
Slytherin Prefect
Slytherin Prefect
Louise Grey

PostSubject: Re: Herbology Lesson 3 (Years 4 and 5)   Herbology Lesson 3 (Years 4 and 5) EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 8:01 am

Admittedly Louise had paid so little attention to Herbology lately, it just wasn't the same anymore and with new teachers taking over the class it was kind of difficult to adjust to. A bouncing bubble of joy came skipping passed and Louise couldn't help but smile at the Hufflepuff, which made the lesson seem less grim. She followed just behind Victoria and stood off to one side, wrinkling her nose at the plants on the table and awaiting instructions. To make sure nothing would get in the way and cause any danger the Slytherin tied off her left sleeve at the shoulder and folded the hanging sleeve over the knot so it wouldn't flap about during the lesson.

Last edited by Louise Grey on Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Herbology Lesson 3 (Years 4 and 5)   Herbology Lesson 3 (Years 4 and 5) EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 8:05 am

While Herbology had never been a subject she favoured, the news of a new Professor reached the common room and she decided to attend, just for the sake of seeing if he or she was able to do a good job. Making her way to the Greenhouses, she sighed a little when she saw the note, not liking the idea of yet another class outdoors. Making her way to the location it specified, she was at least glad to find that Alex was already there.

"Good morning, Professor," she greeted politely, moving to stand next to the Slytherin with a softer 'hello'. The other girl that was there, she remembered from her house, but did not know personally. She let her eyes travel to the one of the roped-off area and almost winced when she saw the plant that sat there, for she recognized it from her text book. Hoping that this would not be a practical lesson, she waited patiently for the man to start the lesson.
Back to top Go down
Carmen Santiago
Ravenclaw Sixth Year
Ravenclaw Sixth Year
Carmen Santiago

PostSubject: Re: Herbology Lesson 3 (Years 4 and 5)   Herbology Lesson 3 (Years 4 and 5) EmptyMon Nov 10, 2014 1:58 am

Carmen wasn't yet feeling so good. She still was all alone. She had no idea what to do with her life yet. She did spend her Christmas alone, first time ever. It was sad and she still didn't feel any better now. She decided to go Herbology lesson now when she heard that there was new professor now.

She noticed the note that they need to go back of the greenhouse. So there she now headed too. She soon reaches there and saw few students and professor there. "Hello," she said there now with quiet voice and didn't smile like she usually did. She wasn't happy so she couldn't be happy or smiley.
Back to top Go down
Allegra Montez
Hufflepuff Sixth Year
Hufflepuff Sixth Year
Allegra Montez

PostSubject: Re: Herbology Lesson 3 (Years 4 and 5)   Herbology Lesson 3 (Years 4 and 5) EmptyMon Nov 10, 2014 5:10 pm

Allegra had joined herbology with true enthusiasm, her hemp bag carrying magically contained baby plants she was carrying around with her until they were big enough to grow on their own, her dark curls framing her owlish eyes, wide and alert.

"Hola, Professor," She quipped, bouncing into place next to her best friend Victoria and hooking arms with her easily, grinning at how Victoria welcomed the man. She was sweeter than sugar, she was. "I'm Allegra Montez, pleasure to meet you," he sing-song mexican accent painted her cheerful words as she waited for class to start, finally in her element.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Herbology Lesson 3 (Years 4 and 5)   Herbology Lesson 3 (Years 4 and 5) EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 6:06 am

The amount of students that showed up for this class was similar to his first class, so he knew he would be able to manage them. The greetings he got were mostly the same - and he responded with an echo of their words. At least, he did so until a Hufflepuff girl had quite literally skipped over with the most he heard anyone say when greeting a person. It left him speechless for a few moments before he managed a smile. "Thank you," he said awkwardly, not knowing how to react. If all his students were this accepting and friendly, teaching would be a breeze! "I'm Damien Peat. You can call me anything you like, I'm not fussy with names."

Not long later, another Hufflepuff arrived, greeting him in a similar manner, and he smiled. "It's a pleasure to be here," he replied sincerely, referring to the outdoors and plants more than Hogwarts itself.

Waiting for a while longer added no new people to the crowd and so, straightening up, he cleared his throat once. "Good morning," he started. "My name is Damien Elson-Robin Peat. As I have mentioned to a couple of you, you may call me whatever you want; I have no qualms with names." He offered them an attempt at a smile.

"I have already seen the student list given to me, but I'd rather hear you tell me your own names, as some of you have already done, so I know what to call you," he continued, waiting for someone to begin.

Once everyone had done so, he nodded to himself, slightly more comfortable now that the faces had names. Before speaking, he again cleared his throat, simultaneously motioning to the plants nearby. "Onto the lesson, then! You should recognize those as Bubotubers - I am sure you have either studied them before or read about them in your textbook. Now, what can you tell me about those plants? One answer each; give the others a chance to speak as well. "
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Herbology Lesson 3 (Years 4 and 5)   Herbology Lesson 3 (Years 4 and 5) EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 6:50 am

With the arrival of her best friend, Victoria's smile had grown, happy to have Allegra here. "Hi!" She replied to Allegra as they linked arms, as natural as ever in their friendship together. The professor's reaction was a little odd, but Victoria decided she already liked him, he was... well rather adorable in his mannerisms.

Waiting for everyone to get there, Victoria simply acknowledged everyone before the lesson started. Getting to know everyone was a good start, and Victoria welcomed it openly.

"Now, what can you tell me about those plants? One answer each; give the others a chance to speak as well."

Using the arm that wasn't linked with Allegra's, Victoria raised her hand and once called upon she spoke clearly so the whole group could hear, never worried about what they might think, but making sure they all heard so they could learn. "If you squeeze the protrusions of a Bubotuber, it expels a yellowy-green pus, this is used in both potions, and can be used to cure severe acne." Victoria supplied, using her larger knowledge of the application of the substance from Potions which was by far her stronger subject.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Herbology Lesson 3 (Years 4 and 5)   Herbology Lesson 3 (Years 4 and 5) EmptyThu Nov 20, 2014 5:12 pm

Alexander wasn't surprised that the witch who answered first was the Hufflepuff, he knew enough around the school to know she was something of a know-it-all. Her answer was nothing short of that either.

There was a pause, so Alexander decided to take a punt at the obvious. "They look like disgusting black slugs." He added half-heartedly, totally forgetting to say who he was in that moment because he was watching one of those things move. Disgusting might not be the right word for those things, actually.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Herbology Lesson 3 (Years 4 and 5)   Herbology Lesson 3 (Years 4 and 5) EmptySat Nov 22, 2014 11:19 pm

As the lesson started, she waited as the other Hufflepuff answered, nodding along with her words. Bubotuber products were some of the things her tutor had suggested, but Chara had instead gone with more expensive products, not wanting to put anything from such a disgusting looking plant of her face - especially not one that had to be squeezed to be removed. Letting out a soft chuckle at Alex's reply, she waited a few moments for someone else to give an answer, but no one did. Introducing herself first, she said, "I'm Chara Fletcher, but you can call me Chara, Professor."

Glancing over at the plant once more, she thought for another moment. "In order to be used to cure ache, the pus must be diluted or mixed with other ingredients. If and when used like that, it can cause severe injuries. If I'm not mistaken, it causes boils to appear on the skin," she continued, adding onto what the other girl had said. There was a lot more she could have said, but remembering the instructions to keep it short, she stopped there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Herbology Lesson 3 (Years 4 and 5)   Herbology Lesson 3 (Years 4 and 5) EmptySat Nov 22, 2014 11:40 pm

Acknowledging each answer with a nod, he smiled at the different areas each student commented on. That in itself told him a little of the type of personality they had, and he found the answer given by the Slytherin particularly interesting. "Good answers; ten points to Hufflepuff for both their students. Unfortunately, I cannot give any points for stating the obvious-" he paused, mentally recalling the student list; luckily, there was only one Slytherin boy. "-Alexander, but a good observation nevertheless."

Guiding them closer to one of the plants, he entered the sectioned off area but stopped the others just outside. "I think we have covered all we need to know about them. As mentioned, the pus collected is used - diluted, and mixed with other ingredients - as a means to get rid of pimples or treat severe ache cases. And, as also brought up, cannot be used when in its purest form."

Slipping out his wand, he gave it a flick, wordlessly summoning two objects, one after the other, from the table located next to the Bubotuber. Catching them, he showed them to the students before letting them drop to the ground: a pair of gloves and a bottle. "Therefore, for this practical exercise, you will wear the gloves before approaching the plant, and you will keep them on until I give you permission to do otherwise; you do not remove them unless I say you can. This is to ensure your safety, and if any of you disobey this, house points will be removed and I will be seeing your head of house personally."

"Now, the task is simple: collect as much pus as you can from your plant - there is enough here for one each - in your respective bottles. The person with the most at the end of the lesson - in half an hour - will get a prize," he continued, motioning around to the numerous sectioned off areas. "In case you do not know how, you simply squeeze a boil, and then catch the erupting pus in the bottle. Each boil has about a teaspoon worth of pus, so do not expect to fill your bottle. If there are no questions, go ahead and choose your plant. If at any time you need help, simply raise your hand and I will be right there."

OOC: Points will be given according to writing and realism of your posts and NOT how well you do - it is okay if you fail to get any pus or refuse to do it altogether, as long as it is realistic and in accordance to your character.
Back to top Go down
Teagan Finn
Unsorted
Teagan Finn

PostSubject: Re: Herbology Lesson 3 (Years 4 and 5)   Herbology Lesson 3 (Years 4 and 5) EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 5:22 pm

This class is officially closed. Thank you for attending. Points are as follows:

Cavendish, A = 30 pts (attendance)
Fletcher, C = 30 pts (attendance)
Grey, L = 30 pts (attendance)
Montez, A = 30 pts (attendance)
Newbury, V = 30 pts (attendance)

Santiago, C = 30 pts (attendance)

Total:
Hufflepuff = 60 pts
Ravenclaw = 90 pts
Slytherin = 60 pts
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Herbology Lesson 3 (Years 4 and 5)   Herbology Lesson 3 (Years 4 and 5) Empty

Back to top Go down

Herbology Lesson 3 (Years 4 and 5)
Page 1 of 1