Hogwarts, A Future
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hogwarts, A Future

Sixteen Years After the War has Ended, Two Wizarding Schools Exist. Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and Salem Academy

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Maybe this year. ( part 1 )

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Thana Semele
Wormwood Prefect
Wormwood Prefect
Thana Semele

Maybe this year. ( part 1 ) Empty
PostSubject: Maybe this year. ( part 1 )   Maybe this year. ( part 1 ) EmptySun Sep 21, 2014 6:06 am

Over the summer Thana had decided to sort out her priorities, she had put her past behind her completely. Even now the Dark Mark she carried faded more and more each day, since she had woken out of her coma she took things in a better way. She still had her problems, but slowly they were getting less and less. Over the Summer Thana had picked up the book that Professor Jake had given her, and while it wasn't a perfect summer, between the fight with Lucas and figuring out her limits she had still managed to actually fill the book with happy memories. Quite often she had more than one for each day, as there were many memories. From family Quidditch matches to going to see Shifué and his present to her to seeing Lestat again.

Once she had arrived at Salem and got organised she sent a letter to Professor Jake, asking for more private lessons with the Patronus Charm. Hoping that maybe this year she would manage to get something from it, even a whisp of smoke would be enough for her. Quietly at around five in the afternoon she went to Professor Jake's classroom as they had arranged. Carrying the full book with her, she had surprised herself really when she filled it. Even so far in the few weeks that she had been at Salem, she noticed that she was generally happier. Still quiet, but actually interacting more in class, asking questions and giving answers. She still wasn't as outgoing as Jareth, no one was really but she was getting better. Thana knocked on the Professors door and waited, actually excited that she could show him she had exceed her own expectations and filled the book.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Maybe this year. ( part 1 )   Maybe this year. ( part 1 ) EmptySun Sep 21, 2014 9:10 am

Since school had kicked back in, Jake had been overly busy once more juggling four jobs, his personal fitness programme and a social life, though the social life mainly consisted of Marilyn these days. It had taken a while for him to get back in to the swing of things, but after the first couple of weeks, normality had ensued.

The letter that had come from one of his students in regards to extra lessons. He'd written back explaining that she should come either Friday lunch times, or Friday after classes to his office, and he would be more than happy to help with the situation.

Jake had been sat marking some of the essays he'd received that day when the knock at the door came. Lifting his wand, he flicked it towards the door that opened carefully. "Come in, Thana." He called out, tucking away the work he'd been doing in to the folder and stretching slightly. "How was your summer?" Jake asked, motioning for her to take the seat across from him and get comfortable.
Back to top Go down
Thana Semele
Wormwood Prefect
Wormwood Prefect
Thana Semele

PostSubject: Re: Maybe this year. ( part 1 )   Maybe this year. ( part 1 ) EmptySun Sep 21, 2014 9:25 am

Thana heard the call to come in and did so, walking in with a quiet confidence she didn't have before. She walked up to the front of the classroom, much like the one at Hogwarts and took a seat as she was offered it.

How was your summer?

Thana let out a small smile, looking down slightly before answering. It hadn't been a perfect summer, especially not right after the attack but for the most part it was really good. " It was pretty good, I won't bore you with the details but I did find out something. " she answered, putting the journal on the table so that Professor Jake could take it. " I found out I could enjoy each day and find at least something happy in it. I don't know how but I filled the book with happy memories." Thana  said smiling softly, it felt good to be actually able to come to see Jake and be able to give him what he had asked for. " I had to buy another book, so I can keep writing them down each day, it's become a habit now." She explained, " How was yours?"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Maybe this year. ( part 1 )   Maybe this year. ( part 1 ) EmptySun Sep 21, 2014 10:55 am

As the witch stepped in to his office, Jake smiled warmly seeing the witch. He was always happy to see his students, especially when they looked happy in themselves. This, he reflected, was what he taught for, to help people move in the right direction.

"I found out I could enjoy each day and find at least something happy in it. I don't know how but I filled the book with happy memories."

Jake looked at the book, opening it randomly to see the witch's writing. His smile grew as he looked up at the girl. "I told you that you could do it!" He told Thana happily, closing the book. It wasn't for him to read, that wasn't the point of the exercise. The exercise was for Thana to specifically find points of happiness in her life. "And you don't have to keep doing it, if you don't want to. But if it helps, by all means use this method to help." Jake told her simply.

"How was yours?"

Jake had never mixed work with his personal life, for the simple fact it was unprofessional to do so, instead, he went for the generic. "My summer was very good, thank you." Before he moved on to the reason they were here.

"So, I'm assuming you haven't been practicing in your free time, we will start with the basics once more. Do you have a memory that is quite strong in it's feeling that we can start with today? Think about it, let it take over, and try the spell." Jake told the witch with a small encouraging smile.
Back to top Go down
Thana Semele
Wormwood Prefect
Wormwood Prefect
Thana Semele

PostSubject: Re: Maybe this year. ( part 1 )   Maybe this year. ( part 1 ) EmptySun Sep 21, 2014 12:14 pm

Thana listened as Professor Jake gave a basic answer about his holidays, deciding not to pry too much. It wasn't her place, she didnt need to know she had just been friendly. She was surprised slightly that he didn't read the book, but after Professor Jake explained why she immediately understood.

"So, I'm assuming you haven't been practicing in your free time, we will start with the basics once more. Do you have a memory that is quite strong in it's feeling that we can start with today? Think about it, let it take over, and try the spell.

Thana once again nodded her head, " Yes, since I've been at Salem I've tried. So far nothing yet but I have a really strong memory, the strongest one I have." She answered, more than happy to go back to basics. You couldn't build a house without bricks, and each brick had to be perfect. She surprised herself when she though of that, wondering where the hell it came from. " Can we begin?" She asked politely, mentally preparing herself for the challenge at hand.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Maybe this year. ( part 1 )   Maybe this year. ( part 1 ) EmptySun Sep 21, 2014 2:47 pm

"Yes, since I've been at Salem I've tried. So far nothing yet but I have a really strong memory, the strongest one I have."

Jake brushed away the contradictory answer to his question, but took in the fact that she had indeed been practicing. Even if there wasn't anything that had happened, it was a start. It would take a lot of practice to get this spell. Those who got it quickly... Well, Jake didn't think that they had truly seen the world if they could find it in themselves to do it first time. It had taken him some time to master it himself. "Well, I'm glad you've found your memory, and please do practice between our meetings, if you will."

"Can we begin?"

"You begin when you're ready, Thana." Jake told the witch with a warm smile. He opened his drawer silently a moment later, taking out a chocolate wand and putting it on the desk. Something to keep the energy up whilst Thana practiced if she wanted to, he reasoned with himself as he waited for her to attempt the spell in question.
Back to top Go down
Thana Semele
Wormwood Prefect
Wormwood Prefect
Thana Semele

PostSubject: Re: Maybe this year. ( part 1 )   Maybe this year. ( part 1 ) EmptySun Sep 21, 2014 4:57 pm

"You begin when you're ready, Thana.

Thana nodded softly, before getting up and drawing her wand. She gathered her thoughts for a few moments, finding her memory. She made sure she lost herself in it. the mountain, seeing the monks , the dinner held in her honour, Shifué presenting her with his own gift. Thana made sure she had the memory, even smiling as she attempted the spell. " Expecto Patronum" Thana said, hoping it worked.

Nothing, once again nothing came. Thana was disappointed but not too upset, she knew that failure was just a small part of the process. Shaking her head Thana grounded herself again, once again making sure she was completely lost in the memory. Again she tried, and again and again . Each time still getting the same result, after several more attempts she took a breather. " Is there something I'm not doing right?" She asked her Professor, she had a strong happy memory which was more than last year. Maybe it was just going to take longer than what she thought
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Maybe this year. ( part 1 )   Maybe this year. ( part 1 ) EmptyMon Sep 22, 2014 2:00 pm

As the witch moved off to give it a shot, Jake simply watched her concentrate to start the spell. The professor couldn't see that the witch was doing anything wrong. However, nothing happened no matter how many times the witch tried, and Jake's brow furrowed as he tried to work it out.

"Is there something I'm not doing right?"

"I'm not sure." Jake replied getting to his feet and moving around his desk. "Everything you're doing in regards to the performance of the spell is correct, so it can only mean that your memory isn't strong enough..." Jake tried to explain, though the witch said she was happier, so he wasn't quite sure. He wasn't used to absolutely nothing happening, so this was going to be a challenge.
Back to top Go down
Thana Semele
Wormwood Prefect
Wormwood Prefect
Thana Semele

PostSubject: Re: Maybe this year. ( part 1 )   Maybe this year. ( part 1 ) EmptyMon Sep 22, 2014 6:21 pm

Thana sighed softly as she listened to her Professor. " I don't know what other memory I could use, it's my strongest one and my happiest." She explained, it was a genuinely happy one. " Is it possible that it's not the right type of happy memory?" Thana asked, not ready to give up yet. No matter how long it took she wanted to get this spell because it meant so much to her. " It means a lot to me, but maybe it's not strong enough." She said, slightly upset with herself. She didn't know what else was lacking, then it hit her. " It's because I'm not afraid .." Thana whispered quietly, she wasn't afraid of being attacked by a Dementor anytime soon because she knew she was safe at Salem.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Maybe this year. ( part 1 )   Maybe this year. ( part 1 ) EmptyWed Sep 24, 2014 11:02 am

"I don't know what other memory I could use, it's my strongest one and my happiest."

"Perhaps you could try and find another one in your book?" Jake suggested, though he didn't know. "Or, perhaps think of a person who makes you happy and focus on them, things you've done, seeing them smile. I know that works for me..." Jake explained, though he didn't know whether his logic was only a personal accomplishment or whether it was a well rounded finding, but it was an idea. "As to whether it's right, I would suggest not if it isn't creating a non-corporeal Patronus. Because you're doing everything right, so the only answer to the problem would be the notion that you're memory isn't right."

"It's because I'm not afraid..."

"You don't have to be afraid." Jake replied to the witch with a small smile. "A Patronus' purpose isn't just to repel Dementors, actually. It's more of a secondary use, actually. Most wizards use it to pass on messages, or to use to entertain friends and family. So, the fear factor doesn't come in to this." He explained, knowing that the witch was trying to hint at it. Not to mention when someone couldn't even cast a non-corporeal Patronus, Jake wasn't going to put them before a Dementor.
Back to top Go down
Thana Semele
Wormwood Prefect
Wormwood Prefect
Thana Semele

PostSubject: Re: Maybe this year. ( part 1 )   Maybe this year. ( part 1 ) EmptyWed Sep 24, 2014 6:19 pm

Thana listened as Jake spoke, realising how foolish her idea was almost as soon as she said it. " Your right sorry, stupid idea." She told him, before thinking hard. Who else could she think of? She had Shifué, or Lafayette, but she didn't have a strong enough memory of happiness from him.

Out of nowhere came a thought, just a flicker of a dream she had. It wasn't a real memory, but a cross between a dream and a memory. she wanted it to be true.  Biting her lip she looked down, " I'm going to give it another go Professor. Just one." Thana said, before getting lost in her thoughts.

Closeness, that's what she felt with him. He made her happy, Thana was always blushing when she was around him. How he made her smile , how he was always nice around her. How every class he sat with her so far, how Thana felt close to him and was secretly hoping he wanted to take it further. To ask her out "  

Once again Thana was lost in the memory, it had brought a single tear to her eye. Quieter than the other times , " Expecto Patronum" came out of her mouth. She wasn't expecting anything to happen, as like the other times it hadn't.

However this time was different, everything seemed different. Her wand didn't even feel the same, she held on hoping it would finally work.
A single large slither of white light,  a non corporeal Patronus, but nonetheless a Patronus had come out of her wand. Finally she had done it, Thana had managed a Patronus. She held the spell for a few moments before having to let it go. She couldn't believe it, it didn't matter that she hadn't got a full one . Even the noncorporeal one she had produced was more than she ever thought she was going to do.

Sitting down to catch her breath she looked at her Professor, glowing. " Thank you Jake." She said to him, he had put up with her last year, agreed to give extra lessons. Had given advice and even made her see the happier side to life. " Thank you for everything" trying to get her breath back  it was like she was on adrenaline , because she felt incredible.

Last edited by Thana Semele on Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Maybe this year. ( part 1 )   Maybe this year. ( part 1 ) EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 6:21 am

"Your right sorry, stupid idea."

"Stupid ideas are only those not shared with others." Jake replied softly. He figured that only people who were too afraid to give ideas were stupid in not having a go at making a decision. Though of course, sometimes there were ideas that weren't always leaning towards the right goal, but in his personal opinion, Jake hadn't seen one.

When Thana said she was going to try again. Jake nodded, waiting to see how it went this time. He waited for a moment, checking everything the witch did as he usually did in case he saw room for improvement. But he couldn't, it rested on the memory.

It was a few moments that felt much longer than they were before something happened. But there, in front of him, a small slither of white light shone from Thana's wand, showing that she had successfully completed the spell. It was non-corporeal, but Jake was proud of her no less for that amount of progress. Jake kept quiet though, only the beaming smile on his lips showing acknowledgment for what the witch had achieved. When she let go of the spell, Jake grinned, almost from ear to ear.

"Well done, Thana!" Jake told the witch as she finished the spell. "I'm so, so very proud of you!" He told her a moment later. He could neither hug the witch, or openly show his pride much more than the smile on his lips, but honestly the young man felt like jumping for joy.

"Thank you Jake."

"No, thank you for keep trying!" Jake replied. He would never take the credit for this, much like he never took credit for many things. He'd always been a selfless person in that sense, giving credit to others where possible. "I think, for today, we'll stop there. This is a big step!" Jake told the witch, not willing to over do it.
Back to top Go down
Thana Semele
Wormwood Prefect
Wormwood Prefect
Thana Semele

PostSubject: Re: Maybe this year. ( part 1 )   Maybe this year. ( part 1 ) EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 6:36 am

Well done Thana, I'm so, so very proud of you!"  

Thana let a smile escape her lips, it was so out of character for her, and everyone knew it. However she smiled because this moment, it was the best feeling she had. She knew she still had a long way to go before she could get a proper patronus, but even the slither that she had got meant more to her than anyone could know.

. "No, thank you for keep trying, I think, for today, we'll stop there. This is a big step!"

Thana nodded in agreement, taking out a water bottle she had in her bag and taking a quick sip of it. Then she noticed a chocolate wand on the table, and just as soon as the rush of adrenaline had hit her it had gone. She was both physically and emotionally tired, so she gratefully took it. It had been the first proper chocolate she had eaten in well over two years, as she didn't count the Fantails she always had on her. But since it was a special occasion, she thought she had earned a special exemption. "Mmm this is really good," she said taking a small bite out of it. "Thanks again Professor, I'll take my leave now." she told him, knowing he would have other things to do. "See you in class!" Thana told the man, quietly picking up her bag and closing the door behind her.

Last edited by Thana Semele on Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Maybe this year. ( part 1 )   Maybe this year. ( part 1 ) EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 1:03 pm

The smile on the witch's lips as she moved back towards his desk was enough to let Jake know he'd made a difference in at least one student's life. If that was all he was going to get from this year of teaching, that was more than enough. Helping one person perform such magic was a vast achievement, but the smile was so much more fulfilling.

As she took the chocolate, Jake smiled. "It'll boost your energy back up." He explained, knowing that level of magic took a lot from your magical source.

"Thanks again Professor, I'll take my leave now."

"It's still Jake!" Jake called after the witch's retreating back, shaking his head slightly. "But I'll see you in class, have a good weekend!" He added, as she slipped through the door. Tidying up his paperwork, Jake put it in his work bag and moved off. Time to get back to Marilyn, he told himself as he headed from the school, feeling much better in himself knowing he'd accomplished such things.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Maybe this year. ( part 1 )   Maybe this year. ( part 1 ) Empty

Back to top Go down

Maybe this year. ( part 1 )
Page 1 of 1