Hogwarts, A Future

Sixteen Years After the War has Ended, Two Wizarding Schools Exist. Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and Salem Academy

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Tightly Wound (Josh)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tess Holmes
Graduate
Graduate

PostSubject: Tightly Wound (Josh)    Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:18 am

Unrolling the scroll, she let the map of Hogwarts take over a portion of the carpet in the head dorms. Beside her was her schedule marked perfectly signaling where she could do her patrol and what times her works would be due the next day. Never in her life had she been so tightly wound and she was ready to snap. She knew it wasn't normal of her, but she clung to a distraction, something to let her avoid her feelings of failure to something she knew she was good at. Academics, her position of Head Girl, Chaser, and being the best in all three. The position of Head Girl came as no surprise her last year, despite her age when she did achieve it, she was always the top female in her group, and that rolled over this year, when a new badge was sent out. Now the badge shined on the carpet as she began to work on what could be done.

Her hair was down, the evening thankfully giving her some time to rest. Her nightgown had rid up on her thighs as she sat on her knees. She had the cover on the side, the summer weather waning but still brought a comfortable temperature. Instead of a book, by the fire, she had a quill as she wrote done potential things to do. She was used to doing this alone, alone suited her fine since she didn't have the opportunity to trust the Head Boy before. Ben, her sweet Ben was not someone that she could trust anymore, from something small to something as vital as her heart.

"Pathetic" she drawled out before beginning to sketch her rounds.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Tightly Wound (Josh)    Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:17 pm

The Head Boy badge had not been a surprise to Josh. The Murrays had always exceeded others in the "challenges" of the world. In hindsight, challenges didn't exist to them, because anything deemed as competition was exterminated before it come to its full potential.

So with the badge now firmly in place on his uniform, Josh knew that responsibilities ensued. Heading down in to the common room after taking off his school jumper and throwing his tie on to his bed, Josh noted that Tess was already downstairs working on something. Moving to the sofa and sitting down, Josh watched her momentarily before she mumbled one single word.

"Not quite as pathetic as those talking to themselves." Josh threw back flippantly, taking an overly red apple from the bowl of fruit they had the luxury of having in their room. "Need any help?" Josh asked a moment later, taking a bite from the apple and not looking towards the head girl. She was amusing to watch when he could be bothered, but right now the apple was much more intriguing to the older Slytherin.
Back to top Go down
Tess Holmes
Graduate
Graduate

PostSubject: Re: Tightly Wound (Josh)    Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:02 pm

Tess jumped at someone speaking back and her only to find Josh. She glared immediately as he sat there lazily on the couch. This took some getting used to, she was used to having complete control to the common room and usually left alone. Josh was a man of few words, she'd learn that since she met him almost four years ago, but today was not one of those days.

"Not quite as pathetic as those talking to themselves."

She rolled her eyes as he casually ate the apple, she never knew how he could be so relaxed with everything. 'He's a man, men don't carry the weight women do about the future' her mother's voice resonated through her mind. And it was true. He wouldn't be forced to do as many demeaning things as pureblood women would.

"You have such a way with words" she drawled out sarcastically. "Reminds me why I missed you all this summer"

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Tightly Wound (Josh)    Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:45 pm

The slight jump of the witch brought a smirk to Josh's lips as he lounged casually on the sofa as she sat working. If this was how the year was going to work, Josh couldn't say he minded too much. But obviously, he would never give the witch the satisfaction of saying she did everything in their year as Heads of the school.

"Reminds me why I missed you all this summer"

"I merely wish I could say the same." Josh replied in equally sarcastic tones. The small games with Tess were probably one of only a few things that made it worthwhile coming back to the castle, but Josh would never admit to that. "What are you doing?" Josh asked, giving the witch a second chance to answer his question. Normally he wouldn't have bothered, but with it being so early in the school year, the Head Boy figured it couldn't be homework just yet.
Back to top Go down
Tess Holmes
Graduate
Graduate

PostSubject: Re: Tightly Wound (Josh)    Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:31 am

"I merely wish I could say the same."

Tess shook her head, a smirk was his only response. The dynamic this time around was different, that much was clear. Where Ben avoided responsibilities, and avoided her too, Josh just put himself in the middle of the situation, enough to annoy, but not bother too much. Dipping her quill in the ink, she wrote the names out of the prefects in alphabetical order so she could put everything in perspective. She bit her lip and shuffled her position around to stretch the Hogwarts map to get it all perfected.

"What are you doing?"

Turning to look at him once more, she lifted her brow. Shifting back to sitting down weight on her legs.

"Isn't it obvious?" she asked smirking, "I'm preparing everything before the meeting. People need to be assigned areas to do their rounds and time it accordingly to not affect their studies. As well as see when can we all meet weekly to avoid any hiccups along the year"

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Tightly Wound (Josh)    Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:11 pm

As the witch worked, Josh merely watched from his vantage point above her. He couldn't see much, but he could note from the way she worked that she was making notes of names on a piece of parchment that she was working on something school related. Tess didn't seem to be the type to write names for nonsense reasons.

But the comment on what she was doing being 'obvious' didn't hold with Josh well. The explanation was one that was understandable though, and he noted the map a moment later. "Didn't you have a schedule last year? That you could copy?" Josh asked, not seeing the point in reworking the whole thing from scratch. The notion of prefects not turning up to meetings was not something the boy even considered, because if anyone believed they could take their job lightly, Josh would soon correct that ideology.

"Don't forget to leave Tuesday's and Wednesday evening's free for us. We have Quidditch training and Head duties don't give you reason to not attend." Josh told the witch in his usual tone of voice that left little to no leeway. "Don't forget Grey and Waters can't either." He added, knocking four people off duty almost instantly.
Back to top Go down
Tess Holmes
Graduate
Graduate

PostSubject: Re: Tightly Wound (Josh)    Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:40 pm

Tess sighed at him just staring. She wasn't used to have her work over overlooked by someone. Usually the Head Boy would let her have her way, without even bothering to ask her what she was doing. How many times had Ben just avoided the actual meetings? The first few times had angered her, after a while, she gave up and did it herself.

"Didn't you have a schedule last year? That you could copy?"

She shook her head.

"Every year people's schedules change, from their extracurriculars to people taking upper level classes that change with the general classes. Not to mention examinations and other actions. I simply work from what they give me" lifting the papers she was given from them, "and work so it works nicely"

"Don't forget to leave Tuesday's and Wednesday evening's free for us. We have Quidditch training and Head duties don't give you reason to not attend." Josh told the witch in his usual tone of voice that left little to no leeway. "Don't forget Grey and Waters can't either." He added, knocking four people off duty almost instantly.

Tess chuckled and nodded.

"I know when we're busy don't worry" she said smirking, "How about you stop staring for a bit and help me?"

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Tightly Wound (Josh)    Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:05 pm

The explanation of changes made Josh shift in his seat, looking more attentive that the casual laid back manner he'd opted for previously. There were many things Josh could have been called, but a slacker was definitely not one of them. Even if it didn't show with his effortless responses in class, the Slytherin worked hard behind the scenes to achieve everything he had over the years. This would be no different.

Everyone had given a list? Josh didn't remember filling one of those out... Perhaps he had, or maybe Tess had made assumptions, whatever the case, Josh didn't argue with that notion.

"I know when we're busy don't worry" she said smirking, "How about you stop staring for a bit and help me?"

Moving from the sofa to the floor besides the witch, Josh looked over the map and held his hand out for the papers so he could read what they needed to know. "Let me see who is available when." The Head Boy replied, knowing that Tuesday and Thursday were probably going to be their problem days with four out of the ten being busy.
Back to top Go down
Tess Holmes
Graduate
Graduate

PostSubject: Re: Tightly Wound (Josh)    Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:03 pm

Tess looked up at him through her lashes, amused at his attentive look. He tried not to jump in, rather she bet he'd prefer to tell her what to do and her follow his every direction. Which wasn't that far off from their quidditch practice routine. Usually she didn't mind it, never questioned it really, but when it came to Head's duties she was the one that had made sure their last year ran smoothly with assigning prefects what to do.

Still, it seemed her took her suggestion just fine as he moved to help. This was new, but she figured she could use this to her advantage. At him asking for the papers, she handed them over and began to map out what was needed. Getting on all fours, she picked up a quill and began to mark one of the maps color coding it for efficiency.

"I want prefects to do their rounds away from their own houses, to avoid biases. But Slytherins avoid the Gryffindor areas, and vice versa. I don't want to have them put either groups in detention for stupidity. So I want, Slytherins for Ravenclaws, Ravenclaws to Gryffindors, Gryffindors to Hufflepuff and Hufflepuff to Slytherin"

Somehow in her own words, she avoided using 'I think' instead using 'I want', something she rarely did, especially around Josh. But she assured herself she knew what she was doing, she had more experience whether Josh would admit it or not. Her back was aching though, from being there for so long, sitting back to normal she rubbed her back and sighed.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Tightly Wound (Josh)    Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:52 am

Josh listened to the points that the Head Girl had come up with, for the most part he agreed with her, simply because there wasn't anything he could think of to counteract the idea she'd presented. However, Josh did have a question in regards to their position. "Does that mean that we'll only be patrolling the Ravenclaw area?" The boy asked, a little put out at the idea of having to spend time around the most boring area of the castle.

The Gryffindor Tower was preferable, around the Slytherin Common Room was better.

The Slytherin flicked through the paper, looking for the days where people were busy. Thankfully, except for the Slytherin Quidditch Practice, most of the other prefects were much freer, making the planning much easier. "Also, we need to find people to do the Ravenclaw patrol whilst we're at practice. Are you sure we shouldn't mix it up? Otherwise this is going to get a little difficult." Josh expressed, realising the flaw now. "I mean, two nights were only going to have six prefects with four areas minimum to cover. Your idea doesn't satisfy those rules."
Back to top Go down
Tess Holmes
Graduate
Graduate

PostSubject: Re: Tightly Wound (Josh)    Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:06 pm

Tess chuckled at the fact his question. His tone amused her, and she realized he maybe forgot exactly what position he held. She admitted that when she was in his position, she had been a bit hesitant about all the tasks, but that seemed unlike him to do so. Shuffling through papers, she handed him last years Head rounds.

"You're a head boy remember?" she laughed lightly, "You aren't considered a Slytherin when you're doing the rounds, you're just Murray the Head Boy. So try to keep that in mind when doing the rounds. The prefects can do Ravenclaw, and we can alternate throughout the year, but you aren't part of that schedule. I figure, that we can split the rounds, which I've never done before, but you can help me with that."

At the hole in her plan, she couldn't help but pout a bit at the fact there was a mistake. Leaning back, she sighed frustrated at herself more than anything over the obvious error she did.

"What do you want to do about that?" she asked, a yawn coming out of her mouth, surprising her.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Tightly Wound (Josh)    Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:43 pm

Josh was a little annoyed as the witch was laughing at him. Actually he was rather annoyed, Josh Murray did not take being laughed at lightly, and it showed in the glare on his features. He mumbled something about only checking his understanding as she asked him to help with the splits. "We can split the castle in to wings, or by floors, depending on what you believe to be easier." Josh replied to her question, his tone quite clearly highly annoyed at the idea of helping now.

"What do you want to do about that?"

"Well split them." Josh said simply, pulling the list of names away from Tess and looking them over. "Rhian can go with Karl, the Ravenclaw prefect." Josh explained, looking through the list at the rest of the names. "Walters and Astrid can go together. Grey and Lemarche. Waters and Travers can go together too." He commented, knowing the relationship groups out of the prefects from his observations. Sure, it wasn't best case scenario, but if people weren't pining they could perhaps work well together. Relationships though, Josh found, weakened peoples capability of functioning when apart, and it only made their work harder.
Back to top Go down
Tess Holmes
Graduate
Graduate

PostSubject: Re: Tightly Wound (Josh)    Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:01 am

Tess knew she pushed some button the wrong way from the expression on his face. She was usually so good at reading just what words could cause what, but at the moment it was the last thing in her mind. She had forgotten who she was talking to. She figured an apology would work, but knew that all she would get would be a grunt or ignoring it all together. She traded in one Head By of few words, for a Head Boy with fewer words. Clicking her tongue in amusement she sat back and looked at him.

"Oh calm down, I wouldn't make fun of you...at least not this directly" she breathed out a coy smile on her features. "Plus, I know you like getting teased, even if a little bit."

Tilting her head she figured she'd said enough and picked up the papers ruffling through them. She wasn't going to directly apologize, she wasn't good at giving them nor taking them and it would make it worse. Nor she was the touchy feely kind, simply because it was him and she rarely touched anyone in general. Those words sufficed enough and instead figured distraction would work best.

She let him take the list from her hands and instead took out a new quill and waited for his instruction. As he instructed the names she wrote them down and studied them. Based on the practices from gryffindor, they would work fine. Smiling she put it down and sealed it, making sure that was done.

"You're a saint"

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Tightly Wound (Josh)    Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:18 pm

Being told to calm down was not helping Josh very much, but he merely cast his annoyed expression towards the paper than at the Head Girl. "I prefer not to be teased." Josh replied, more grumbling than actually stating it as a fact.

As he dictated the groupings for the rounds, Tess wrote them down, something he appreciated because there was absolutely no way he was going to repeat himself. Though, of course, Tess knew better than to test his patience, something he was glad at least one person in this castle was capable of.

"You're a saint"

The sarcasm went above Josh's head in that moment, and he nodded slightly at her 'compliment'. "You're welcome." Josh responded, though it wasn't heartfelt. Putting the piece of paper together, Josh put them on the coffee table ready for their meeting.

"Was there anything else, or are we done?" The Slytherin asked impatiently. A new year at Hogwarts meant he had much and more to be getting on with, and the Head Girl didn't highlight in those plans very often.
Back to top Go down
Tess Holmes
Graduate
Graduate

PostSubject: Re: Tightly Wound (Josh)    Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:02 pm

Tess simply smiled and tried not to laugh as to not push him to anger. There was a fine line between anger and annoyance and she wasn't going to be stupid enough to cross it. Instead she nodded and tried to let that go. His sour mood was not going to spoil her already working denial.

At her joke, it seemed that she found that sarcasm wasn't necessarily his strong suit. Biting her lip from bursting out into a fit, she instead began to put everything in order. Perhaps he wasn't the most engaging person, but at least Josh was willing to help. Picking up a few papers she handed them over to him, figuring that responsibility would fall on him too.

"Yes there is exactly, but I figure you can do this on your own. We need a master calendar to be sent out to all the prefects. Meaning they know eachother's schedules and can work from that if anything needs to be done. Also you can run the next meeting about when to deduct points, entering other common rooms, etc. Is that okay with you?" she asked.

She was already getting up, preparing to have a good night's sleep, maybe an eight hour one if she was lucky.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Tightly Wound (Josh)    Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:52 pm

The question in regards to setting up a calendar and then taking the next meeting made Josh look at the papers for a moment before nodding. Was she really asking him that much? Worst case scenario he'd have to do it himself - the calendar - best case, he could get that redhead Gryffindor to do it for him.

The meeting was not a problem either, he was sure he could make everybody listen if and when needed.

"I'll get it done for the meeting and deliver it to the others." Josh replied shortly, folding the papers they'd been working on and then getting to his feet. It was a start, and though he didn't like being dictated to (especially not by women) he knew that he would have to work with the witch all year. "I'll call a meeting in two days time, make sure to be there. Seven." Josh told her, moving off up in to his own dorm room without another word to Tess.

This, was going to be a new experience, that was for sure.
Back to top Go down
Tess Holmes
Graduate
Graduate

PostSubject: Re: Tightly Wound (Josh)    Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:02 pm

'As if I'm going to miss the meeting' She thought rolling her eyes.

As he left, Tess couldn't help but think that he had a flair for dramatics. Not that she would ever say it to his face, but she couldn't help but think it. Chucking to herself she picked up her own items and went to her room, trying to get some sort of control of her life, by maybe throwing some work Josh's way to make her own life better.

Throwing her things aside, she was glad to have her nightgown on, only pulling her hair down and pulling the covers over her. Crawling into bed, it was the first time in a week that she managed to sleep properly, finally relaxing. Her dreams weren't of failure, or of rejection but rather peace.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tightly Wound (Josh)    

Back to top Go down

Tightly Wound (Josh)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1