Hogwarts, A Future
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hogwarts, A Future

Sixteen Years After the War has Ended, Two Wizarding Schools Exist. Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and Salem Academy

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse)

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse) Empty
PostSubject: One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse)   One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse) EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 2:47 pm

Routine had set in to Jake's life. Mari came to watch his games, he'd take her home, spend a little while there before coming back to Eden Prairie. The Sunday after the game Jake had gone to see Victoria which had proved a useful exercise as the siblings had worked out something Jake could surprise Mari with when he next saw her. Work resumed on Monday at Hogwarts, giving Jake a moment in the UK to snuff out a dance class for the following Saturday.

Tuesday and Wednesday had been with the Meteorites. Thursday at the Ministry with his interview, and Friday he was back at Salem with the news that he'd made it through to training. The grin had been permanent, even through the duelling practice with Mary, and when he had arrived hope, despite it being late, Jake had written to Mari to tell her that the following evening he would be picking her up at six and that she should wear a dress, if she had one suitable for easy moving.

True to his word, Jake had turned up on Mari's doorstep at the hour he'd stated, still refusing to just enter her flat, even though she'd told him so many times that it was okay. They'd set off with Mari asking where they were going, but Jake didn't answer. The evening had been spent at a ballroom dancing class at intermediate level. Jake hadn't been sure which one to book, but it was good fun, especially when he got most of the moves wrong on the first go and ended up laughing at himself just as much as Mari was.

It was a couple of hours later that the duo were walking home, Jake was exhausted, but he hadn't felt better in such a long time. "So, did you enjoy yourself?" Jake asked as they walked arm in arm down Mari's room. It would be time to leave soon, never Jake's favourite time of the night, but such was life. They would see each other again soon enough. "Or did I do badly?" He joked, knowing that that was definitely not the case.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse)   One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse) EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 3:06 pm

Marilyn had been completely surprised by where Jake had taken her and been a little hesitent to actually dance but for Jake's sake she pushed herself and found herself having a lot of fun with him at the class.
So when they were walking home she was all smiles and happiness.
"You were absolutely dreadful," she grinned, squeezing his arm and teasing him, "I loved it. Thank you. How did you know?" She couldn't remember ever telling him, but she didn't really care, because it had been a wonderful surprise.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse)   One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse) EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 3:14 pm

"You were absolutely dreadful,"

"Hey! I haven't danced since... before Victoria's accident!" Jake retorted, shaking his head, it had been almost nine years since he'd danced properly but by the end of the class he'd been doing well. It was just getting back in to the swing of things that had been difficult for the man, though his nimble feet could only be attributed to his Quidditch training. "Besides, dreadful now means I might actually learn something." Jake joked, having signed them up for a few weeks of training, just because he had nothing better to do.

"I loved it. Thank you. How did you know?"

"Victoria told me that the two of you had danced together in the dance hall at Salem." Jake explained to the witch with a warm smile. "So, I figured that it would be nice to take you dancing. It was something different than going to a bar, and always helpful for our line of work." He added, giving it useful reason for them to be doing it. As if the fun they had had throughout the whole lesson hadn't been enough of a reason.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse)   One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse) EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 3:45 pm

"I was kidding, you were great. Thank you, It was incredibly sweet of you. And that instructer is really nice. " She laughed, thinking it was good for her to have something to do every now and then that had nothing to do with fighting. And it was nice to dance again, though it was hard. But the witch was trying to find a way to accept not only her life as it is but also her life before- it was like two lifetimes from two people. But she'd keep trying.

"Victoria told me that the two of you had danced together in the dance hall at Salem."
"She did? That was...wow, that was ages ago. I can't believe she remembers." The aspiring auror shook her head smiling.
They were home soon and she invited him in for a drink before he went home, as she usually did, putting her purse down on the coffee table and not noticing the nearly empty potion bottle on the floor next to it.

Last edited by Mari Caldwell on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse)   One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse) EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 3:56 pm

"You're welcome." Jake replied softly, it was what friends did after all. Mari was making an effort to come and do something he enjoyed with his work, and now he was repaying the favour. Learning a skill at the same time, which might well help them both in their training. It would be something to get Mari out and about too, which was always a bonus in Jake's eyes.

As the duo made their way up to the flat, Jake followed the witch in to the lounge, taking up his usual space on the sofa, though this time he led down on it, quite tired from the week. He would go before he fell asleep though, Mari's flat wasn't big enough to accommodate both of them, and Jake would rather sleep on his own bed than on the sofa.

"Of course Victoria remembers you. I don't think there's a single person she forgets!" Jake told the witch with a light chuckle. Victoria had always been unique in that way, remembering things that most other people couldn't. Especially names, Victoria had always been amazing at remembering copious amounts of names.

"Can I just have a glass of water?" Jake called after the witch, not feeling the usual alcoholic beverage that evening. With the witch out of the room, Jake looked around, wondering what was new in the apartment. Practically nothing apart from a few things Mari had evidently picked up whilst shopping. Nothing remarkable, except the potion bottle on the floor.

Leaning off the sofa, Jake took a hold of the bottle, bringing it towards him and reading the label. A slight frown touched his features, though he understood the obvious reasons Mari would take such things. "Mari..." Jake called out, checking the label to see the date it had been prescribed. "How often do you take this?" The young man asked, looking towards the kitchen door.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse)   One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse) EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 4:03 pm

"Can I just have a glass of water?"
"Sure" she called already on her way to the kitchen, wand waving at two glasses into which she poured the water and then carried herself. Which was a good thing, too, because when she came out she froze momentarily at the sight and at the question.
And as much as she wanted to play it all off, she couldn't lie to Jake (which was so annoying on so many levels).
"Every night." she looked away and set down his glass in front of him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse)   One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse) EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 2:11 pm

The Quidditch star could hear the witch working in the kitchen as he turned the bottle around in his hands. He'd sat back up as he looked, reading the date and estimating how many doses were in here. Enough to be using it regularly, Jake was quite sure of that, even if potions hadn't been his strong point.

"Every night."

The answer had not been the one Jake had been looking for as he looked up at the witch who'd frozen in the doorway. Perhaps he should have waited, not been so bullish on the subject. But, Jake couldn't help but be wary of the evidence before him. "You know that you're not supposed to take this every night, right?" Jake asked softly. He wasn't accusing her, merely trying to collect facts, and it was quite evident that he wasn't mad, just worried as he looked to the witch once more.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse)   One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse) EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 4:35 pm

Marilyn sighed and sat down on the chair, taking off her dance heels, her tone was dry as she answered, "Yeah well when you need them every night you take them every night. Simple as that. And the adverse effects are really not that bad..." but at his worried look she quickly tacked on, "I'm joking about the effects. That's why I'm not drinking. Not supposed to mix." Marilyn ran her fingers through her hairand out of her face.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse)   One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse) EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 5:27 am

Jake listened as the witch explained as to why she was taking them everyday. Well, telling him that she needed to. She looked like she was frightened, and Jake motioned for her to come over to him. "I'm not made, Mari. Honest." Jake told the witch softly.

"But, you're not... you're not supposed to become so dependant on the potion..." Jake told the witch. He'd had run ins with the potion in a past life, it had scared him then and he didn't want to think about it again. But life never worked like you wanted it to. Letting out a soft sigh, Jake put the vial on the table and looked to the witch.

"Have you tried anything else?" Jake asked softly, looking to the witch quizzically. Hopefully she hadn't then they could work something better out.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse)   One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse) EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 5:51 am

The witch moved to sit next to him as he beckoned to her, "Oh really? Well damn, wish someone had told me sooner." she drawled sarcastically, rolling her eyes, "Either I take it or I don't sleep. Simple as that. I've got an appointment at a ministry appointed therapist, apparently there have been some...concerns voice about my participation inthe Auror program and they would like to have a voucher for my sanity. It's next week Monday, but until then no, there's nothing that I've tried. Because I can't think of anything that would work." The witch sighed, "If you have any ideas, be my guest."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse)   One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse) EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 12:44 pm

"Oh really? Well damn, wish someone had told me sooner."

Jake raised an eyebrow at her sarcasm before shaking his head. "Be serious, Mari!" He told her softly, the amount he cared for the witch quite clear in his body language. Messing with such things was dangerous and Jake didn't want to have to deal with... well the possibilities that came with such things.

The information about the psychologist made Jake reach out tentatively to the witch's hand, giving it a soft squeeze. A smile accompanied that notion as Jake looked to the witch. "You're not mad, Mari. Quirky at times, but not mad." Merlin knew Jake wouldn't let her believe for a second that there was something with how she was, Mari was fine, the Ministry were just being over-cautious.

"If you have any ideas, be my guest."

"Well, you could talk about it?" Jake prompted, giving a small shrug because he wasn't sure. "Or... if it's the sleeping part maybe get on of your female friends to come stay with you? For a while?" Jake suggested, though once more he wasn't at all sure. He'd never dealt with nightmares before, so this was difficult.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse)   One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse) EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 12:59 pm

Marilyn met his gaze and sighed, leaning her head on his shoulder, squeezing his hand back. "I'm sorry, I know, it's not funny." she closed her eyes. "I know I'm not mad- quirky? Who's quirky?" she gave him a side eyed look and smirked.

Then the witch leaned away and laughed, "Jake. How many friends do you think I have?" she shook her head, "Jake, okay to clarify, my friends are: You. Samar, sort of. And that's...that's it. Wow that sounds kind of pathetic." she bit her lip.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse)   One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse) EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 1:25 pm

The usual manner in which Mari leant in to him was comforting. The witch was worrying, he supposed. But it would be okay, he would make sure of it, like he'd promised the witch on more than one occasion. "You're quirky." Jake told the witch softly, knowing he'd probably get in trouble for such things. "Not a bad thing though." He added a moment later, to reassure the witch.

The list of friends Mari gave made Jake let out a soft chuckle. "You have Waters. And Callum too!" Jake teased after a while, adding a playful nudge at the mention of Callum. In a way, he wanted Mari to deny such things, though only on a subconscious level. But, ultimately, in all seriousness, Jake could see the problem. Not enough female friends to make this easy. "I guess that one won't work then." Jake muttered to himself, looking sideways at the witch. "What am I going to do with you, huh?" He asked, trying to be light-hearted despite the fact he was worrying a fair bit about Mari now.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse)   One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse) EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 1:39 pm

The witch harrumphed at his 'quirky' comment but smiled. She did, however, groan at his comment about Callum. "Jeez you sleep with a guy once. Can we just never mention that again? Thanks."  she pulled her feet up and leaned on the arm of the couch and had her feet over his lap.
"Waters is my partner. It's not personal. She doesn't even know my first name and that is just fine." And it was. She trusted her to do her job and be her partner. But their partnership had yet to really progress. And there was no way she could call her up to sleep over.
"Well I think you lost my receipt so you can't return me to my store." She quipped with a smile and a laugh that didn't quite reach her eyes.
"I don't want you to worry about me. You worry about me way too much,, you're gonna give yourself gray hair."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse)   One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse) EmptySat Jul 19, 2014 2:04 am

Jake let out a soft laugh at the mention of Callum. He'd only been teasing, but never talking about the guy again was most definitely something Jake could do. As the witch made herself comfortable with her legs over his lap, Jake smiled slightly at her state of ease around him. It was growing with each meeting and Jake was glad in some way that he was helping her.

"Well I think you lost my receipt so you can't return me to my store."

"I'm not returning you anywhere." Jake replied seriously, his hand touching her calves gently before shaking her. "Don't be silly, yeah? You're my friend!" He told the witch, his hand settled in place on her legs in a comforting manner. Merlin he was going to have his work cut out with this one.

"I don't want you to worry about me. You worry about me way too much,, you're gonna give yourself gray hair."

"I worry about everyone." Jake insisted, hoping to make her feel better. "And, if you didn't give me reason to worry, I wouldn't have to!" He chided the witch softly, pausing for a moment as he looked down at his lap, thinking. "Mari, I know this might be weird, and I mean it only in a manner of friends looking out for each other. But... do you think my idea might work... with us? I mean, if that's totally pushing the boundaries I'm sorry, we can forget about it... I just, want to help is all."

Jake's cheeks had begun to go a light shade of red at his words. It was difficult in mixed-sex friendships to not sound like you were totally hitting on the other person, which Jake wasn't, so he could only hope Mari would understand and not completely freak out with the idea.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse)   One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse) EmptySat Jul 19, 2014 5:39 am

"Don't be silly, yeah? You're my friend!"
"Fine, fine, I'll be serious now." she replied, turning her expression solemn towards her friend. And she wasn't kidding around anymore, the witch knew this was a grave matter, she just, as always, didn't really want to deal with it.
"Mari, I know this might be weird, and I mean it only in a manner of friends looking out for each other. But... do you think my idea might work... with us? I mean, if that's totally pushing the boundaries I'm sorry, we can forget about it... I just, want to help is all."
Marilyn raised her eyebrows slightly in surprise, blinking at her friend, who was...blushing?
"If it works at all, then probably better you than anyone else. I mean, because well, honestly the moon is closer to the sun than I am to anyone, except you." Her eyes wandered around the room as she spoke before settling back on him with a slight smirk, "No need to blush, Newbury, I'm not going to seduce you. This might actually work, when we were at school Gavin and I used to fall asleep together on the couch in the common room, so it's just like that, really." Except that Jake and Gavin were utterly different people to her, but the basic principle remained the same. Or similar.
So with that settled the witch removed her legs from his lap and stood, smoothing her dress down again.
"Well, the bedroom is there,"
she pointed at the door to her right, "I'd say make sourself at home, but I say that everytime you're here and you still wait outside, so just try to relax? I'm going to get ready then you can have the bathroom, it's getting late anyways, so we should just get right to it."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse)   One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse) EmptySat Jul 19, 2014 10:22 am

As the witch agreed to the idea, Jake let out a breath he hadn't realised he was holding. It was silly really, Mari could just say no and they could have forgotten all about the whole thing, but on another level, Jake was always worried he'd overdo something. Female friends had been something of a difficulty for him over the years, but now... he was getting there.

"No need to blush, Newbury, I'm not going to seduce you."

Jake stuck his tongue out at the witch for teasing him, it was childish, but it made him feel better. The plan was drawn out for Mari to use the bathroom and Jake nodded along in agreement to the whole thing. Only when the witch entered the bathroom did Jake move, moving to the fireplace and flooing home. It took a few moments, but eventually his mom came in to view, a smile on her face. "Everything okay, Jake?" The witch asked from the other side and Jake nodded.

"Staying in England tonight, mom. I'll see you tomorrow." Jake told her, noticing the small sparkle in his mother's eye but not acknowledging it. "See you, mom." Jake told the witch firmly, pulling away from the fire. Taking off his suit jacket, Jake hung it over the chair, before prizing off his shoes. The rest could wait for the bathroom. How long Jake waited for Mari he wasn't sure but after a quick exchange, Jake moved in to the bathroom and pulled off his shirt. There was a bar of soap which didn't look too girly so Jake had a quick wash, before pulling his boxers back on.

It wasn't ideal, but it was all the clothes he had.

Heading through to Mari's room, Jake moved to right hand side of the bed, putting his clothes on the floor and getting in to bed. It felt kind of weird. But as the covers covered everything below his torso, Jake relaxed a little bit. Looking to the witch who was still playing around with something, Jake smiled slightly. "This is completely weird." He commented letting out a soft chuckle. It would be okay, he just wasn't sure what to do.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse)   One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse) EmptySat Jul 19, 2014 10:40 am

Once in the bathroom the witch splashed some water in her face and took a deep breath and it was only once she'd opened her eyes again that she noticed that the hands she had gripping the basin were shaking. Due to the potion she hadn't been confronted by nightmares or flashbacks in weeks and the thought of waking up sweatsoaked, sobbing and screaming again was trrifying. But Jake was there and he was going to try to help. So the witch shed her dress and let her hair back down in her crazy curls, washing up and then grabbing her nightclothes- a long, old Metallica Tshirt from her Uncle Jamie that stopped midthigh. For a moment she wondered if she even had pants to sleep in, quickly realising that she did not actually, because it was hot out and hot in the flat and the only pants to sleep in were woolen and that was just not gonna happen. Well at least she was wearing normal underwear. And it wasn't visible, really.

When Jake got into bed she was still putting up the silencing charms around the bed room, in case she did wake up screaming bloody murder.
"This is completely weird."
Finishing up she turned around to face him, putting her wand down.
"Still not going to seduce you, relax, Jake, I'm not the one half naked- well... I'm still wearing more than you are." Barely. She teased with a smile and climbed into bed, crawling over to where he was.
"Jake, you don't have to do this, you know that, right?" she asked quietly, laying next to him under the covers, turning to face him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse)   One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse) EmptySat Jul 19, 2014 10:50 am

"Still not going to seduce you, relax, Jake, I'm not the one half naked- well... I'm still wearing more than you are."

"Well, had it of been planned, I would have brought shorts and a t-shirt. I can't sleep in a shirt, can I?" Jake teased back, pretending not to have noticed that the witch's attire... only just covered enough. It wasn't the time for such things, anyway. If it ever would be...

As the witch got in to bed, Jake watched her movements, detecting where the boundaries were so that he didn't have to ask. There was no cuddle, so Jake didn't move in to one, knowing that the witch would take what she wanted and nothing more.

"Jake, you don't have to do this, you know that, right?"

"I know." Jake replied softly, giving the witch a small smile. "But I'm here, and I'm going to anyway." He added, his tone teasing but in no way denoting that he felt any regret for being here. There was just a small feeling of unease, but that would go with time. "You okay?" Jake asked softly, taking Mari in, she seemed alright, as anyone could be in this situation, but confirmation was always welcome.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse)   One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse) EmptySat Jul 19, 2014 11:26 am

"...I can't sleep in a shirt, can I?"
"Hey I'm not complaining, it's not a bad view." she quipped easily, smiling and trying to relax.
Then she decided, to hell with it, and cuddled up against him, her head on his shoulder as usual, her legs curled up so her knees were at his hip, one arm at her own side and the upper one reaching to pull his arm around her waist.
"You okay?"
She took a deep breath and Jake's minty smell semed to calm her a little, enough to answer honestly, with no joke, "I'm scared. Of my nightmares. They're just memories of, well you can guess. I'm not fond of waking up screaming." heer breath hitched slightly at the end, biting her lip to keep calm.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse)   One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse) EmptySat Jul 19, 2014 11:45 am

"Hey I'm not complaining, it's not a bad view."

Jake let out a soft laugh at her words, looking down to see what she was seeing. Jake didn't find it that different to all the guys he knew, but then, they were all professional sports players, they were all muscled over their torsos, and being Quidditch players, their arm muscles were well defined. Whatever floated her boat, Jake guessed. "Thanks." He muttered softly.

Mari took only a moment to cuddle up to him, and with the way she moved him, the Quidditch star was holding her to him a moment later. He didn't mind of course, but the close proximity was letting Jake know things about the witch he'd never known before. Things that he really couldn't think about now, but definitely could analyse later.

"I'm scared. Of my nightmares. They're just memories of, well you can guess. I'm not fond of waking up screaming."

"I'm right here if you have nightmares." Jake told the witch softly, his hand running up and down the witch's back in what he hoped would be a comforting manner. "But you're going to be fine, you're safe." He whispered, pulling the covers up over them enough and then continuing with the soothing strokes of his hand down her back.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse)   One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse) EmptySat Jul 19, 2014 12:04 pm

Marilyn nodded slightly, closing her eyes and waving her hand lazily, cutting the lights, revealing the little glowing (enchanted) stars on the ceiling that the witch had put there after once waking up screaming to see the blackness above like she had in guantanamo. So she'd put 'stars' there to remind herself that she wasn't there anymore.
Between his soothing reassurance and his arm stroking along her back the witch was soon asleep, and she remained quite calm in her sleep at first, only moving to nuzzle closer and stretch her legs.
Around four in the morning the witch began to grow restless as she had turned away in her sleep and was no longer in Jake's arms. Soft whimpers at first, nothing intelligable, but clearly distressed. Then the whimpers grew in volume.
Meanwhile in the witches mind she was back on the island...
She'd just arrived on the island, she supposed. There was no way to know for sure. She was in chains and wandless, laying on the hard ground. It was swelteringly hot, but sweat wasn't what she tasted when she licked her lips; it was blood. Fast forward to Marilyn chained to the floor, arms spread away from her, screaming and shreiking as a masked figure cupped her chin and forced her to look at his eyes as he murmured a curse and suddenly it was like her entire body was on fire, like she wasbeing ripped apart from the inside out. At the same time she was vaguely aware of a carving sensation on her face...a knife... 'Almost a shame...such a pretty face...' his words were far away...foggy...the girl couldn't focus anymore....then another wave of the curse...she was screaming...
And so she was now, screaming and sobbing, her arms in front of her face, defending herself from an imaginary enemy...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse)   One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse) EmptySat Jul 19, 2014 12:38 pm

As Mari slowly drifted off, Jake stayed awake for quite a while after, watching the witch to make sure she slept peacefully. The peaceful look on Mari's face was enough to lull the young man in to sleep, holding her close to him.

The Quidditch star had always been a deep sleeper, barely moving and not hearing anything whilst he slept. So when the murmurings of the witch beside him began, Jake was completely oblivious. Being oblivious wouldn't last though as the murmurings turned in to screams. Jake's eyes snapped open the moment they started, taking no more than a moment to adjust to where he was and roll on to his side to face the witch.

Mari was rolled over the other way, so Jake gently put his arms around the witch, drawing her flush to him. "Hey, it's okay, I'm right here, you're safe." Jake whispered softly, using his hands to gently prize Mari's from her face. "It's Jake. You're safe." The boy continued to whisper, leaning up to see if she was okay. "We're at your flat. It's just a dream." He assured the witch.

Snaking his fingers between Mari's, Jake held the witch's hand in reassurance, not knowing what else to say or do but just be there for her.
Back to top Go down
Mari Caldwell
Auror In-Training
Auror In-Training
Mari Caldwell

PostSubject: Re: One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse)   One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse) EmptySat Jul 19, 2014 12:50 pm

Marilyn came to, screams turning to sobs that shook her small frame as Jake pulled her close. The witch squeezed the hand he'd laced his fingers through and turned to press closer, her face buried in the crook of his neck as she cried, reliving the moment over and over behind her closed eyes. Her arms were bent close to herself, but hands were on his chest, her body slowly, slowly relaxing from her tense position. After a bit she opened her eyes and pulled back slightly, just to wipe her eyes with one hand.
"Jake..." she whispered, shaking slightly, unsure of what to say, how to act. Marilyn didn't let anyone see her cry or lose it or be anything but calm and collected. The most she'd ever shown was putting her head in her hands after her first quidditch game. It was just...she was out of it, she was vulnerable, and just...completely lost. And it showed in her face.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse)   One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse) EmptySat Jul 19, 2014 1:21 pm

The witch turned in to him and Jake held her close, shielding her from the terrors she'd been subjected to as she sobbed in to his chest. Jake didn't speak, there was no need, he just held her so that she could let it all out. An errant thought moved to the question of whether Mari had let it all out, cried and cried until it was all gone. But it was a question he couldn't ask because even with an answer he didn't know what he could do.

"Jake..."

"You're safe." Jake assured the witch again, his hand moving up to her face and gently brushing away the tears on her cheeks. It was heart-breaking to see the witch like this, knowing he'd made the witch like this. But for a lot of the evening... she'd been okay, she would be okay. "I'm not going to let anybody hurt you like that again, promise." Jake assured the witch, leaning down enough to place a soft kiss on her forehead. "They'll have to go through me first, and I don't go down easily."

It was true, even if Mari hadn't seen it. Taking Jake down when he was fighting for the life of others would be no easy feat. With time Mari would come to know that, but until then... Jake would simply hold the witch until she felt comfortable enough to go back to sleep.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse)   One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse) Empty

Back to top Go down

One Step at a Time (Jake & Mari - Hints of Substance Abuse)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next