Hogwarts, A Future
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hogwarts, A Future

Sixteen Years After the War has Ended, Two Wizarding Schools Exist. Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and Salem Academy

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years)

Go down 
+3
Tess Holmes
Thana Semele
Azalea Harrington
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Azalea Harrington
Graduate
Graduate
Azalea Harrington

Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years) Empty
PostSubject: Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years)   Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years) EmptyMon Jul 07, 2014 10:56 pm

Dear class,

Firstly I apologize for not being there in person but lets face it, you'd rather see a note pinned to the blackboard than a teacher's face any day right?

On a more serious note, due to some unforeseen scheduling conflicts, I will not be able to see you today but that does not exempt you from work. Queue groaning.

So today, for a possible 30 points, please take a seat and compose an essay on (1) species of herb you would like to grow in your own personal habitat (it could be a garden, underwater, underground or any place you feel said species would thrive in) and then document how you would deal with the specimen if it was deprived of one of its essential growing ingredients (sunlight, water, soil, room). Conclude your essay with how your plant will fare, whether it lives or dies and any personal thoughts you may have on the plant's chances when deprived of its basic necessities.

Once you've finished your essay, please place it in the black file on my desk and it will be forwarded to me for grading.

Thank you and good luck.

~Azalea
Back to top Go down
Thana Semele
Wormwood Prefect
Wormwood Prefect
Thana Semele

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years)   Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years) EmptyMon Jul 07, 2014 11:30 pm

Thana walked in to the Herbology classroom, she smiled inwardly after reading the note. Walking in Thana sat down and got to work.

She decided to write about Aconite, which was also known as WolfsBane. Thana started the introduction, not worrying about the others in class. She just wrote, she was early to class but that meant that she could get more done.
Back to top Go down
Tess Holmes
Graduate
Graduate
Tess Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years)   Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years) EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 12:51 am

Entering the classroom, she was surprised at the note that greeted her. Reading it she was surprised to find it empty, that is until she realized Thana had blended into the background of the classroom. Sighing at the thought of another essay, she sat down and took out her favorite quill, already knowing what to use.

The herb/plant I have chosen to hypothetically keep growing despite any drawbacks is the Gillyweed. Gillyweed is known for it's power of giving a temporary amphibious quality once consumed. This temporal amphibious trait can last depending on salt or fresh water. The famous aquatic based plant is regionally specific to the Mediterranean Sea, thus needing low levels of sunlight and lots of saline water, to thrive and grow into the important herb needed.

Theoretically, if I were to grow gillyweed, I would have to make sure to create a medium level of brine within the water, as well as a cool temperature, keeping the lighting to a low light, since it tends to grow at the bottom of the Mediterranean sea.

Similar to seaweed, it does tend to need some sunlight, but kept at normal temperature. But if it had to deal with a drawback and deprived of sunlight, it would fare fine, simply would have a longer grow time, especially within the deeper level of water. But if it was deprived of a more essential environment such as salt water, it would possibly die, because of the lack of nutrients that it absorbs within the known salty-water of the Mediterranean sea. I would theorize that since it's only know to thrive in a salty sea such as the Mediterranean it would die in fresh water.

-Tess Holmes

Putting her quill down, she blew on the parchment wanting it to dry, and waved air towards it hoping it would dry and she could leave.
Back to top Go down
Thana Semele
Wormwood Prefect
Wormwood Prefect
Thana Semele

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years)   Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years) EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 2:49 am

Thana noticed Tess and nodded to her. Welcoming her, Thana moved over and sat down next to her friend. "What are you writing on?" she asked her friend sitting down next to her. Thana already had most of her essay written.

Aconitum. An Assignment.

Aconitum, which is commonly known as Aconite, Monkshood, or WolfsBane is a well known potion ingredient with its flowers. Its leaves however are highly toxic. There has over two-hundred and fifty species of Aconitum.

Aconitum throughout the history has been known as a toxin, used to poison animal bait or as a poison for people hunting Wolves. Bringing its name, WolfsBane.

Once it was found everywhere, now it can only be found in the wild. However, it is hypothetically able to be grown.

If I were to theoretically grow Aconite, I would need a large uncultivated planting area. Somewhere in a forest, or significant other uninhibited area would suffice. Normally it would be planted in partial sunlight, usually under a tree or somewhere sufficiently shady enough.

If the plant was put into direct sunlight it would not survive as easily, Aconite does not do well in direct sunlight. Therefor it would become sick, from to much exposure. I would also remove the water supply. Usually this is rain, however I would water the plant myself under normal conditions.

After being deprived of water and having too much sunlight the plant would fare terribly. It would eventually wither and die, once WolfsBane or Aconite has had too much sunlight and not enough water there is no going back. It will die and become useless.

This experiment seems like a waste of a valuable plant, it could be used to better serve people in the Healing community.

~ Thana Semele.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years)   Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years) EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 12:13 pm

Heading down to the Herbology greenhouses was not something Josh was looking forward to. It was unlike him, the only class he ever felt excited to be attending had been Herbology, but after Professor Harrington had rejected the copious amounts of artwork he'd created in her honour, Josh had slowly seen the witch for precisely what she was.

Uninteresting.

Everything on Azalea Harrington had been disposed of from Josh's possession. It had left him for a time in a very awkward state of mind, but slowly he had resolved that it gave him a clearer view on the world. He had more time in which he could do what he wanted to do, and honestly, he was revelling in it.

Now all he had to do was work out how to get Grey off of his back and he would be sorted.

The note came as a surprise, a welcome surprise. Not seeing the professor was good for Josh as he took up a seat and took out his paper without a word to the two other students there. They were of no interest to him, like most people in this world. Like everyone in this world.

Snargaluff

The plant I have chosen to study is mostly found in England and Scotland. Given this information it can be assumed that the plant only thrives in cool, damp conditions seeing as the weather in those countries is never exactly warm and it rains frequently throughout the year.

The Snargaluff would likely thrive in a normal garden scenario, so that would be my given choice of location for the plant in this instance. Though a greenhouse would suffice in an experiment type situation as this task sets out.

The main facts about a Snargaluff would be that it has vines that shoot out from it to protext itself and the fruits it grows. For this reason, I believe the best experiment to undertake on the plant would be to restrict the amount of room the plant has to grow. That, and given the country it grows in, both light and water cannot be much of a problem for its growth.

For the experiment, I would therefore place a Snargaluff in to a plant pot. This would mean a limited space for the plant to hide it's offensive vines, thus giving the predator a clearer view of the target. The experiment would be that of a comparison to the reaction capabilities (using both time and force as the measured variables) than that of a "wild" Snargaluff of the same size.

I doubt that the experiment would cause the plant to die. However, it is likely that the fruits it produces are more likely to be taken or, at least it should be easier.

- Josh Murray.

After finishing his essay, Josh moved to the front desk and put it in to the folder as they'd been instructed. He returned to his desk to wait out the rest of the time they would have to spend in the greenhouse before they would be free to go.
Back to top Go down
Tess Holmes
Graduate
Graduate
Tess Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years)   Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years) EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 6:17 pm

Tess finally noticed that the ink was dried and she was relieved that it wouldn't smudge. It was when she noticed that Thana had moved closer to her. She smiled politely at the girl, that she called her a friend and colleague. Moving a strand of hair from her face, she greeted her.

"Hey"

At her question, she smirked a bit knowing how she subconsciously chose the herb that she studied on her spare time.

"Gillyweed, and you?"

As soon as she asked, she noticed that Josh entered. She raised her brow realizing that he didn't greet her. Sure he wasn't the warmest person in the world, but he always greeted. Interesting...she didn't even hide as she turned over from her conversation with Thana to look over at the boy. As he finished, she didn't talk first, instead studied him before smirking a bit and turning back to the Ravenclaw.
Back to top Go down
Thana Semele
Wormwood Prefect
Wormwood Prefect
Thana Semele

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years)   Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years) EmptyTue Jul 08, 2014 7:12 pm

Gillyweed, and you? Tess replied, Thana noticed as she looked when Josh Murray a fellow Prefect came in. "Aconite" Thana answered to her colleague. Thana had disappeared again, around two weeks after Tess's last lesson. She had been gone for four days, but they were worth it.

"How have you been going?" she asked quietly, so no one else could hear them. She kept writing her essay, adding and changing over and over. Any assignment had to be perfect to Thana, so she kept rewriting the plant that was close to her heart.

Aconitum, which is commonly known as Aconite, Monkshood, or WolfsBane, mainly found in Scotland; is a well known potion ingredient with its flowers. Its leaves however are highly toxic. There has over two-hundred and fifty species of Aconitum.

Thana rewrote the first paragraph, getting it perfect. Then she moved on to the others.
Back to top Go down
Cassidy Young
Gryffindor Seventh Years
Gryffindor Seventh Years
Cassidy Young

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years)   Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years) EmptyThu Jul 24, 2014 11:38 pm

When Cassidy arrived to Herbology and saw that Azalea was busy during the lesson, she was a little disappointed. She really enjoyed her lessons with Azalea, but nevertheless, she took her seat to start on the task given.

The plant I have chosen to study is the Fanged Germanium. This species of plant is a common garden plant, and is a common ingredient in potions and cooking. Therefore, it can be speculated that the plant thrives in a wide array of conditions. The distinctive trait is its teeth.

If the Fanged Germanium is deprived of food, water, or planted in nutrient poor soil, it will bite. If I were to grow Fanged Germanium, I would choose a location such as a garden bed, with plenty of water (rain would suffice), and a nutrient rich dark soil, that is neutral. Sunlight is of course needed for the growth and health of the Fanged Germanium.

Deprivation of such abiotic factors will result in aggression with biting, and eventual death of the plant.

She rolled up the parchment and placed it on Azaleas desk.
Back to top Go down
Lucy Waters
Slytherin Prefect
Slytherin Prefect
Lucy Waters

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years)   Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years) EmptyFri Jul 25, 2014 12:18 am

Lucy arrived a little late to the lesson, but she was relieved when she saw that Azalea wasn't in that day, and that she needed to complete a task. She smiled to herself and walked to begin writing.

The plant I would choose to grow would be a Mandrake. This species is known distinctly for its ability to render a person dead with its screams as a full-grown adult plant, and unconscious as a young plant. It has a great likeliness to that of a human baby, with leaves growing from the forehead.

If I were to theoretically grow this plant, I would ensure that it is in a pot, so as to control the growth rate, as well as keep nutrient rich soil and an abundance of water to keep the cries of the mandrake to a minimum. While replanting, I would ensure earmuffs are worn. Warmth is important to the growth of the mandrake, so it should be kept in a greenhouse, which would keep it warm all year around. If any of these factors were deprived from the plant, it would react through screams and cries, which if mature, are fatal to humans.

The mandrake can be used, when mature, to restore those who have been petrified.

With that done, she set the parchment on the teacher's desk and left the classroom.
Back to top Go down
Violet Lynch
Hufflepuff Fourth Year
Hufflepuff Fourth Year
Violet Lynch

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years)   Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years) EmptySat Jul 26, 2014 9:14 am

Violet was pleased when she arrived to class to find that Azalea was away for the lesson. It meant she could get on with her work quickly and quietly, without distraction, or having to talk to others. So she set about to complete her task on her favourite plant.

The plant I would grow would be the Venomous Tentacula plant. Its distinctive features include it's spiky leaves, expelling of venom and mobile vines. The best way to grow it would be in a pot, outside, to control the growth rate of the plant and to ensure that it doesn't get too big to manage.

If the specimen was deprived of one of its vital sources,it would become aggressive and shoot venom at people approaching. To deal with this, I would simply cast a shield charm, or diffindo, while approaching and adding whatever element is needed. Without the essential factors, the plant will wither and die, but not without a fight. Though, if grown in the wild rather than a pot, it would not be as reliant upon aggression as a means of getting nutrients, but rather extend its roots deeper.

The best reason to grow the plants is for brewing poisons, or for extra money as the leaves can earn up to 10 Galleons if sold to the correct person.

She rolled up her parchment, placing it on the desk and left without a word.
Back to top Go down
Natasha Stonem
Ravenclaw Third Year
Ravenclaw Third Year
Natasha Stonem

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years)   Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years) EmptyThu Jul 31, 2014 8:53 am

Natasha was slightly disappointed that Azalea wasn't teaching class this time. She really enjoyed her lessons with her. But of course, she took her seat and set out to complete the work she had been set.

The plant I would theoretically grow would be the Spiky Bush, purely because it is easy to control its growth through the use of the 'incendio' charm, which also acts as a defence against the spikes, best grown in a controlled environment such as a pot to deter spreading through runners. If the specimen were deprived of one of its essential abiotic factors, as any plant would, it would eventually die. Beforehand, the plant will attack, but feebly as it is very dependent upon such factors.

She placed her parchment on the desk and made her way out.
Back to top Go down
Tess Holmes
Graduate
Graduate
Tess Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years)   Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years) EmptySat Aug 09, 2014 12:05 am

Class Closed

Holmes, Tess: 30 pts
Lynch, Violet :30 pts
Murray, Josh: 30 pts
Semele, Thana : 30 pts
Stonem, Natasha : 30 pts
Waters, Lucy : 30 pts
Young, Cassidy : 30 pts

TOTAL:

Hufflepuff: 30
Gryffindor: 30
Ravenclaw: 60
Slytherin: 90
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years)   Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years) Empty

Back to top Go down

Lesson 3 - Nurturing and Survival (all years)
Page 1 of 1