Hogwarts, A Future
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hogwarts, A Future

Sixteen Years After the War has Ended, Two Wizarding Schools Exist. Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and Salem Academy

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry)

Go down 
AuthorMessage

A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry) Empty
PostSubject: A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry)   A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry) EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 2:03 pm

A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry) Clive-owen
Henry Newbury

It was somewhere in the middle of the night that Henry woke up, feeling rather parched from over indulging on the salted peanuts Alexis had set out during the course of the evening, As always, his wife had exceeded herself much before the main event of Christmas day, and Henry would never say he was less than proud of her for all she did.

The cracks in their relationship were still there, and likely would be for a little longer, but slowly, they were beginning to fade. Disappearing and reuniting the couple in to the age old manner in which Henry could remember from their children's childhood. Alexis was still cuddled close, facing away and holding on to the arm that encircled her.

A smile touched his lips at the scene before he slowly pulled away from his wife, kissing the top of her head before he slipped out of bed, pulling on his dressing gown and padding down the stairs. Slipping in to the kitchen with what he hoped was minimal noise. Jake had always been a fairly heavy sleeper once he had drifted off, but Azalea, the man couldn't be so sure of.

Still moving as quietly as possible, Henry ran the tap and filled a glass, taking a seat at the breakfast bar as he rubbed his eyes. Just a few moments, then he would head back upstairs, he told himself. Reaching out to the cupcakes Victoria had made, Henry took one, despite not being hungry and began to nibble.
Back to top Go down
Azalea Harrington
Graduate
Graduate
Azalea Harrington

PostSubject: Re: A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry)   A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry) EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 2:18 pm

Three fifteen, the glowing digital clock on the mantel read in green numerals as Azalea's eyes opened, her breathing slightly heavier than usual in the wake of another dream. The witch wasn't entirely sure if they were nightmares. Was reality a nightmare? Clara often said that dreams symbolized thoughts people were too afraid to think of in a conscious state and an empty greenhouse was just the type of thing that terrified Azalea beyond belief.

Moving slowly despite the panic building inside her, Azalea slid from Jake's grasp, making sure to make the least amount of noise and movement possible as she left the mattress that as their bed for the night. Water, tea, coffee, anything to keep her from going back to sleep.

Not bothering to switch on any of the lights, the witch felt her way through the hall and into the kitchen, her hair in disarray and her slender frame shaking visibly with fear as she entered the kitchen.

Only to see Jake's father there eating a cupcake.

"S-sorry," she managed, cursing internally at the slight stutter in her voice. "Just needed some... water," she added, straightening herself and pulling down her tank top in an effort to look semi presentable. "I didn't mean to d-disturb you."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry)   A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry) EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 2:29 pm

"S-sorry,"

The cake in Henry's hand cascaded down on to the counter, a soft swear word leaving the older man's lips as he made a mess in his wife's kitchen. Azalea had moved silently, it seemed, and caught him totally red handed. "No harm, child, no harm." Henry assured her, sweeping up some of the crumbs he'd made with his hands.

"Just needed some... water,"

"Help yourself, you probably know where everything is." Henry told the younger witch, before his mind caught on to the stutter in the girl's voice. Azalea had never stuttered before... She was such a confident witch, always knew the right words to say.

"I didn't mean to d-disturb you."

And there it was again. Taking the witch in, Henry noted the trembling of her body and got to his feet, moving to Azalea and pressing her in to the chair he'd just vacated. "Azalea, you're shaking. Are you okay?" Henry asked, giving her a meaningful look before getting the witch a glass of water. There was a punnet of grapes nearby and Henry remembered Alexis fussing over what to serve the younger witch for Christmas dinner. The final decision had just been to get lots of fruit and vegetables and hope it covered it.

"Are you hungry?" Henry asked, moving the grapes towards Azalea hoping it was just a hunger issue.
Back to top Go down
Azalea Harrington
Graduate
Graduate
Azalea Harrington

PostSubject: Re: A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry)   A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry) EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 2:46 pm

"Help yourself, you probably know where everything is."

Even as the man invited her into the kitchen, Azalea found herself frozen in place, her eyes bright like a deer's caught in headlights. She had to pull herself together before Henry realized the kind of state she was in but try as she might, Azalea couldn't bring herself to move. Her limbs, so fluid and graceful every day now stood still and strained, until the wizard gently settled her in a chair, getting her a glass of water.

"Azalea, you're shaking. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, th-thank you," the brunette managed before taking a sip of the cold water. Of course, this time in Eden Prairie, tap water was bound to be cold, she reasoned, almost succeeding in making herself believe it was that shook her body like a stray leaf in winter.

Almost.

"Are you hungry?"

Azalea shook her head, silky brown strands swinging down her shoulders as she sat. "I'm alright, I just had a... an odd dream," she managed, taking a steadying breath to calm herself. "Probably ate too much at dinner," she tried, taking another sip of water.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry)   A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry) EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 2:53 pm

"I'm fine, th-thank you,"

If the stutter had gone in that moment, Henry might have found it in his heart to believe the witch. But he couldn't. Henry would never claim to know Azalea well, but he knew enough of the young woman to know that she did not stutter and that knowledge, mixed with her trembling form was enough to tell him something was very wrong.

"I'm alright, I just had a... an odd dream,"

It was no odd dream, Henry summarised. Had he only had had Victoria as a child, he might have been capable of believing that people having odd dreams might mean a rainbow striped unicorn dancing the can can, but having Jake... Henry had seen too many feverish dreams from his eldest child to believe this was anything but... bad.

Putting a hand on Azalea's shoulder, the man tried to comfort her slightly. Affection had never been easy for Henry, that had always been Alexis' forte, but he could try. "What did you dream of, Azalea?" Henry asked softly, it was always better to talk things through, he found, even if you were terrified of the outcome.
Back to top Go down
Azalea Harrington
Graduate
Graduate
Azalea Harrington

PostSubject: Re: A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry)   A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry) EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 3:25 pm

"What did you dream of, Azalea?"

The Herbologist shook her head a second time, trying to dispel Henry's concern as she placed the glass of water on a nearby surface. "Nothing important," she managed, doing her best to compose herself underneath the Ministry worker's gaze.

"I was just, it took me by surprise," she admitted, not quite meeting the wizard's eyes as she said that. There was no point in letting her eyes betray her emotions even more than her body already was. "So childish, weird dreams at this age," the witch attempted a laugh but it sounded hollow even to her own ears.

"Uh, now that I'm up, can I make you something, a cup of tea to go with the cupcake?" she asked, trying to throw the focus off herself. "I was thinking of fixing myself one too so it wouldn't be any trouble," she added hastily.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry)   A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry) EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 3:32 pm

"So childish, weird dreams at this age,"

"Azalea." Henry replied, his tone firm but friendly, telling the girl she didn't have to pretend around him. "You've been uptight all day. I thought it might have been because of Alexis' parents being here." He told the witch, subtly letting her know that whilst other people might have been happy to overlook it or genuinely not seen it, the Ministry official was not going to.

"Uh, now that I'm up, can I make you something, a cup of tea to go with the cupcake?"

"I'll do it. You stay sat down." Henry insisted, the hand on her shoulder making sure she didn't move before he turned to the kettle. Preparing two cups with tea. A short silence ensued as Henry busied over the tea before he moved back to the bar, putting the two cups between them and sitting down opposite.

"Is there something wrong between yourself and Jake?" Henry asked, though as far as he could tell, Jake was incredibly happy at the moment. A little tired around the eyes, but happy.
Back to top Go down
Azalea Harrington
Graduate
Graduate
Azalea Harrington

PostSubject: Re: A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry)   A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry) EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 3:47 pm

"You've been uptight all day. I thought it might have been because of Alexis' parents being here."

There was no point denying the statement so the witch simply hung her head, neither agreeing nor disagreeing with the conclusion. As Henry busied himself with making tea - quieting all her own protests to do it instead - the witch wondered what would persuade him to believe she was alright.

Nothing, the man was too shrewd, and experienced with children of his own. As he bought over the two mugs of tea, Azalea couldn't help but remember the last time they had had tea over the breakfast bar. Back then it had been he was dishevelled and shaking. That was karma, she supposed.

"Is there something wrong between yourself and Jake?"

The brunette quickly shook her head a the notion. "No, not at all..." she managed, sounding convincing despite the small niggling of doubt inside her. "I just... We've been very busy lately so we haven't properly talked in a few weeks," she admitted, making no move to reach for her cup.

"I've started frequenting Unseen University, so it takes up all my weekends too," she finished lamely, trying to justify to at least someone why she hadn't told Jake what she should have almost a month ago.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry)   A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry) EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 3:57 pm

"I just... We've been very busy lately so we haven't properly talked in a few weeks,"

Henry listened to the words, nodding slowly to show he understood. Jake didn't need to tell him that there was little time in his life, it was evident around his eyes, despite his smile and eagerness, Jake was tired. So those two things fit together quite nicely. At least there was nothing wrong with his son's relationship, the witch before him was a lovely young lady, they worked well together.

As the justification came as to why the witch hadn't spoken up about the problem she was facing, Henry shook his head. "There is no reason to justify not talking about problems, Azalea." Henry told her softly, she would understand the words enough to know that not talking caused mess. Mess that could be avoided.

"What's worrying you, Azalea?" Henry pressed once more, reaching across the table and taking the hand of the witch he was already starting to see as a second daughter. Reassurance when she needed it the most. "I can promise, that unless you say otherwise, anything said now will not be repeated outside this room." The addition to his words was necessary for the witch before him, she was scared, and knowledge that this would not be shared was likely the only way to get her to talk.
Back to top Go down
Azalea Harrington
Graduate
Graduate
Azalea Harrington

PostSubject: Re: A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry)   A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry) EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 4:17 pm

"There is no reason to justify not talking about problems, Azalea."

The witch noded, he knew it was true. Jake and her were never the kind of people who talked but when it mattered, they somehow always managed to communicate enough to let the other know how they felt. But now... At a loss for words, Azalea nodded, conceding to the point.

"What's worrying you, Azalea?"

For a second, the Herbologist considered telling him, really considered pouring her heart out to this man who always reminded her so much of her own father. He would be kind, he would understand, he would hug her.

And then he would realize what her condition meant for him and his family. Even as he assured her that her secrets were safe with him, Azalea knew she couldn't tell him the whole truth. Not because he would judge her but because Jake deserved to hear it first.

"I... I recently found out I have a medical... condition," she admitted hesitantly, her fingers tightening around Henry's' hand as they clutched his palm for support. "Nothing life threatening, don't worry," she added, trying to sound braver than she had felt this last month.

"I just... don't know how to tell Jake. It's not something I can take care of without him ever finding out."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry)   A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry) EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 4:38 pm

When Azalea agreed with his statement, Henry tried not to look smug. This was such a turn of events, but if he could do anything it was to be a good father, blood or otherwise.

"I... I recently found out I have a medical... condition,"

The colour could not have drained from Henry's face any quicker than it did with that news, his eyes searching the younger witch's eyes for some idea. The life-threatening conditions came to mind and Henry shook his head. She was too young, too good a woman for that. It...

"Nothing life threatening, don't worry,"

Henry relaxed, but only slightly, still trying to work out what was wrong with the witch. She looked, despite the fear and shaking, perfectly healthy.

"I just... don't know how to tell Jake. It's not something I can take care of without him ever finding out."

"Jake is... Difficult." Henry replied softly. His son had always been emotional, took things heavily in regards to bad news, and dwelled on them for much too long. "But, he is good at listening. He's in a good place now, so it might be the best time to tell him. I can sit with you if that helps? When you tell him." The offer was genuine, support was key in difficult times.

"Or... Take him somewhere to put him at ease?" Henry suggested, shaking his head because this wasn't helpful. "He''ll understand that you'll be okay. And, medical conditions are just a challenge of life, you can always work around them."
Back to top Go down
Azalea Harrington
Graduate
Graduate
Azalea Harrington

PostSubject: Re: A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry)   A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry) EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 5:15 pm

"Jake is... Difficult."

No he isn't, Azalea defended her boyfriend in her mind even a she shook her head to negate his father's statement. Jake was never difficult. He was the kindest, most wonderful person to ever exist. It hurt her sometimes to look at him and just know he deserved someone so much better than her but the witch always bit her tongue, always kept herself from saying these things out loud because they worried him and she could not be the cause of that. His faith in her made Azalea want to be the best that she could for him. And had Healer Derwent not come along to confirm that Azalea would never be the perfect person Jake deserved, the brunette would have almost fooled herself into thinking that they worked, that they were right for each other.

But Azalea couldn't tell Henry all that so she merely listened as he advised taking Jake to somewhere nice to relax him. The witch listened mutely, her mug of tea still ignored on the counter in front of her. The steam no longer curled from the surface, it was getting tepid.

It would soon be good only for throwing away in the sink, just like her.

"He''ll understand that you'll be okay. And, medical conditions are just a challenge of life, you can always work around them."

"I don't know how..." the witch trials off dropping her gaze once more. "How we're going to work around this one," she finished, making a valiant effort to not shudder at her own words. This one was not easily fixed. In fact, this would never be fixed. And if Jake realized it too...

Then the little bit of her world that was still left would crumble to dust.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry)   A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry) EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 12:35 am

"I don't know how..." the witch trials off dropping her gaze once more. "How we're going to work around this one,"

"The answer will come with time." Henry told the witch, giving her hand a small squeeze. Maybe not right away, maybe not for a number of years depending on the magnitude of the condition, but if the witch before him could cure his daughter, Henry had no doubt she could fix her own problems.

"I don't think I ever believed Victoria would walk again, Azalea. Actually, I know I didn't. But you worked around that problem. Time heals everything." The man whispered, nodding to the witch in the hope she'd understand.

"Just don't wait too long to tell Jake. He'll beat himself up over it if he missed all the signs." Henry added, taking the final mouthful of tea and then getting up and putting his cup in the sink. "Lets get you back to bed, Jake will be worried if he wakes up and you're not there.

"Besides, we only have a couple more hours before Victoria wakes up." Henry explained, giving the younger witch a knowing look before a fond smile touched his lips. "Everything will be just fine, I promise."
Back to top Go down
Azalea Harrington
Graduate
Graduate
Azalea Harrington

PostSubject: Re: A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry)   A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry) EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 11:14 am

"The answer will come with time." 

Azalea nodded, trying to believe his words. Maybe it would and maybe... No the witch tried not to think of that. He was right though, she should tell Jake and soon. And if everything really was going to go to hell, it was best that it happened early.

At least Jake would have his shot at happiness.

As Henry finished his tea and encouraged her to return to bed, the brunette nodded, giving him a small smile. "Thanks D... thank you," she managed, coverung up the slight slip as best she could.

"See you in the morning," she spoke, getting up to her feet and picking up her own mug of tea to bring with her. She would likely not drink it but the witch couldn't bring herself to throw it away just yet.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry)   A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry) EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 11:58 am

"Thanks D... thank you,"

Henry smiled at the slight slip of the tongue, nodding at the witch in a manner of saying she was welcome. It was warming, really, that Azalea felt comfortable enough around him for such a word to be associated with him. But he wouldn't call her out on it, merely pretending he'd missed it.

"See you in the morning,"

"Good night, Azalea." Henry replied, shuffling out in to the hallway just behind her and then heading up the stairs back to bed. He was worried, of course he was, but for now, it would be their secret, and they could face tomorrow as if the world was just as it should be.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry)   A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry) Empty

Back to top Go down

A Friend in Need is a Friend Indeed (Azalea & Henry)
Page 1 of 1